Chevy/GMC Small Trucks Forum Discuss the Colorado, Canyon, Sonoma, S-10, etc here!

Just Sharing My Upcoming Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Default Just Sharing My Upcoming Project

Here the deal I have some pretty big plans for my 99 Blazer 4x4. Currently its tan with tan interior. Its an LS although its pretty well equipped. When I am done with it I am planning on having a truck that is better than a ZR2.

First off I am well aware of what is listed below and yes I am aware of the cost of undertaking a project like this. I am NOT a millionare (I Wish) but I am not. I am currently in school an only have a few weeks left. I am going to take a break and work full time for a while. I am going to be taking what I call baby steps and little by little as I can afford to purchase additional parts I will add more mods. I also am well aware that there are things that will have to wait awhile due to cost and the fact that it cannot be done until other things are finished. It will also be done in phases. The reason I listed pretty much everything is so that you can make a desicion based off everything maybe this will help steer me in the right direction if you guys think I am making a mistake with something. I have no problem with acception constructive critsism. But Please unlikeother sites I have been on I you make a parts suggestion or tell me to stay away from a bad part, tell mewhy, it really helps to know what I could be dealing with.I am working very hard to make myself proud of my truck. I also plan on documenting and putting pictures and explanations up for you all to see.

Phase 1 (Strictly checking the rig over and fixing things that have to be fixed before other things can be done.

*Rebuild transmission (I know it slips and needs attention, when rebuilt it will have a B&M shift kit).
*Replace ball joints (A couple in the front are shot)
*Replace CV shaft Boots and seals (Seals leak, I will also inspect the shafts for damage and replace as needed).
*Check entire front end for wear and replace pieces as necessary.
*Replace all bushings.
*Possibly change front and rear gears to 3.73 but I am not sold on the idea I think the stock 3.42s will due (inspect axles).
*Inspect engine and rebuild if necessary.

Phase 2
*2ā€¯ Body Lift
*Torsion bars sag (may replace)
*Transfer case makes a little noise (with mileage may rebuild).
*Might replace radiator (had to fix it once, I figure itscheap insurance)
*Every hose will be replaced
*Tires will be 30"x 9.5" to a 33" tire but due other factors list below I am unsure but I have it narrowed down to either a BFG AT, BFG MT or a Cooper STT. I looked at a BFG AT that I think was 235/75R15 and I am hoping that a 30" plus would have a deeper tread.

Phase 3
*Replace stock exhaust manifolds with tubular short style headers (emissions legal)
*Install a high-flow cat
*Change exhaust as I am not real happy with Flowmaster and I think Magnaflow sounds better.
*Throttle Body Upgrade (as to size and if its something I am even going to do I don't know.
*Mass Air will be swapped for a better performance unit.
*CAI w/ K&N Filter
*ECU programmer (Hypertech, Superchips or other) Suggestions?
*Clean up the rust on the underside and clean up driveshafts.

Phase 4
*Do light body work doesn't need much as there are only two (very tiny spots of rust.
*Paint entire body Copperhead Metallic
Here is a link if you would like to see the color.
http://www.gearztv.com/index.php?em2...=&ek=96289
*Install body color 2000-up grill.
*I am planning on all the chevy emblems and trim that is now black will be camo.
*Install a roof rack mount for a spare tire (undecided and not really sure yet.
*Fabricate a set of front and rear steel bumpers (if I can't find them to just buy).
*Install fog lights and backup lights current factory backup lights suck.
*Tubular Mount

Old 10-09-2007, 05:14 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: Just Sharing My Upcoming Project

Sounds like fun post pic's as you do it.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:21 PM

Sounds like a lot of work,may I suggest you have the emblems ghosted in keeping the body flat. After all those emblems are only there to make sure you put the extra effort of getting the gloop of wax from behind them. Go to a junkyard to find the steel bumpers that you want, 87,88 somewhere in there was the best chrome chevy had before going to plastic, just because it says GMC doesn't mean it's not interchangeable, ther are quite a few Chevy parts on my Sonoma and the Chevy vs. GMC prices on parts is cheaper if its Chevy part. The alt on the Sonoma was $115 or $86 for S-10.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:51 PM

Howdy, car-part.com has great new and used parts at kick *** prices.

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]