Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

00 Shortbed frame rust PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Question 00 Shortbed frame rust PLEASE HELP!!

Well there is a 2000 at a local car auction going off tonight. The exterior of this truck looks mint, the motor has 41,000 miles on it and everything in the truck works. There is really bad rust on the frame and all major front end components, but I wouldnt have a problem replacing all of them. My only concern is the actual frame... Im thinking if I can score this truck for under $2000 it would be worth it just in parts. Anyone have any insight? Anyone know of other truck frames I could use the cab and bed on. I just dont want to let this truck pass buy if I could manange to save its life or part it out to other silverado enthusiasts. Im a Noob to the sight, but use other forums for my honda 600rr street bike and also on another site do to my love for VW's... Hope Im posting in the correct area and that someone will give me some advice and not bash me too bad for this being my first post

For clicks

Last edited by SlammedSB; 08-26-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:33 PM

I know i didnt give super amounts of info, but this truck runs smoothly, makes no strange engine noises, stops well, e-brake works, all electrical components work, axles make no noise during turning, clutch tranny feels good, all 4wd and 2wd options work correctly.... The only thing this truck needs is major rust repair on the frame and other front end components under the motor IE: Control arms, suspension etc... Im just wondering if it would be worth it to get into it for 1500 or less... The bidding will probably go over that just because the truck looks so clean on the exterior. This is a public auction, so any moron can go in and buy a car or truck. I on the other hand no that this truck will not pass inspection in my state (Mass.) or any other state in the country for that matter... Hope I hear back from someone soon, sorry for the last minute posts... The auction starts at 6 tonight

Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM
TruckForum Addict

Why will it not pass the State inspection? And if it runs so good why not buy it for yourself and fix it up? As far as the rust goes... it all depends. I would think if the frame could be snaded down and primed and repainted it would be okay, but if it has rusted holes in it then maybe... meaning if you had another frame the parts cold be mounted onto it. It comes down to is it worth it for you and your time. My wife would possibly kill me for beinging home another truck... lmao