Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

00 Z71 help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Default 00 Z71 help?

I'm a Ford guy so I don't remember half of what I should about the Chevys. My good friend just bought a 00 Z71, 5.3 4x4. Few minor issues, but even with them it was a good buy. I started searching threw the topics on here but after page 6 I gave up and figured I'd just post a new topic.

1. Fuel gauge. Works here and there, most of the time if it isn't working and you hammer the throttle it will come back to being right. So, obviously this is a pressurized sender, correct? Is it then a one piece unit with the pump? If it is with the pump do you recommend removing the box or dropping the tank? Also I havn't had time to crawl underneath, it has been Rhino lined but no bolts showing, do they have through bolts or do the bolts screw to the box from the bottom?

2. 4x4 service light. Comes on regurarly. Allbeit it seems like the 4 wheel drive is functional. Also on the operational side, he had issues changing from 4 hi to 2 hi after the ice was off the roads today, is it shift on the fly or what is the procedure? Had the same problem with 4 Auto to 2 hi. (operators manual missing, he's never had a truck, I've never had a Chevy(well I had a 69 C10)). I hopped in his truck and I didn't have any problems, do you have to be in park to switch from 4hi to 2hi?

3.Oil Change light. What is the procedure to reset that? Comes on, but oil has been changed recently.

Thanks in advanced.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Default RE: 00 Z71 help?

The oil reset is accomplished by turning the ignition to on with the engine off and pressing the gas pedal 5 times.

Does his 4x4 have the push button 4WD. That switch assembly has been known to cause the symptoms you describe; however, I ended up needing a tranny rebuild to fix the problems with my 00. I was pretty hard on that truck.

I have not had issues with the fuel gauge but GM has recalls on many of their instrument clusters. I had similar symptoms with an oil pressure gauge on my 04. I replaced my instrument cluster and the problem went away. I just received my reimbursement. Have your friend call a dealer to check the recall status of his truck.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:05 PM

Thanks, and yes his is the pust button that has Auto, 2 Hi, 4hi and 4 Low. He bought this truck from his unlce down in springfiled, Mo who bought the truck new. It's been a city truck its whole life and will continue to be, thus the 4 wheel drive is only used in snow and they rarely see snow down there, but some ice, still not what we get up here in NE Nebraska.

I have another friend that has issues with his 01 Z71s' fuel gauge only his never works, but that doesn't bother him, he's a country boy and just seeing how he abuses that truck I know what they can take. Riding around with him during deer season got me pretty impressed. I'd rather take mine just because, but his has heated leather seats. ha.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:57 PM

lotsa problems with the fuel sending unit... im told its one with the pump but idk it wasn't on this forum that i remember hearing that

Old 04-02-2008, 03:25 AM

I posted this before but a certified gm dealership mechanic that is a buddy of mine told me to be rolling about 20mph when shifting from 2hi to 4hi in drive. Thenwhen shifting to 4lo you should be rolling around 5mph in neutral and the same to shift out of 4lo. He said you should always shift to 4hi then to 4lo and 4lo to 4hi before going back to 2hi. It is a shift on the fly system. Ive had a few similar problems out of my 00 Z71 also. Especially the fuel gauge thing but I dont know the fix for that just yet. If the 4X4 service light is coming on I would just check the diffs and transfer case service if needed.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 AM

Basically everyone who has a 00 silverado has problems with the sending unit, and to fix it you have to replace all of it, so i just learn to live with it. Also about the 4x4 light, or Service 4x4, my light will come on a completely random times and ive had the fluid replaced and it checked out and there is nothing wrong with it. These trucks throw random lights at us for some reasons, ill change my oil and it will tell me i need to change my oil for a week after.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:39 AM

1. Replace sending unit, or just deal with the awkward gauge.
2. Replace either the switch or the actuator, scan it to be sure.
3. Like "usbrowns" said with the gas pedal.