Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

01 Silverado 2500HD, Engine misfires

Old 05-30-2018, 06:03 PM
Beginner
Default 01 Silverado 2500HD, Engine misfires

I am looking for any help or suggestions to diagnose this issue with my truck. I am at a complete loss on how to identify what is causing these misfires.

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (2WD) with about 101k miles on it, I have only been the owner for the last give or take 15k miles. It was a fleet truck for a construction company before that so although it was used heavily it received routine maintenance and upkeep.

Here is the situation, for last two months ( it does this maybe 1/10 of the time so it's intermittent) when I come to a complete stop then start to accelerate again it feels like my gears slip or something is putting resistance on my tires from accelerating for a brief second then goes away and all is well. Like I said it does this just once in awhile so I have been challenged to identify and dive in to fix it. I finally got some time off work and decided to have my neighbor take a look (he is a mechanic) and driving it he said he thought perhaps it was misfiring at low rpm's and to try switching out the spark plugs. So I purchase new spark plugs from a well known parts supplier, go to install them and of course I break the old wires, so I buy new wires and install the wires and spark plugs, soon as I start it up it's misfiring badly with a check engine light with for random engine misfires. I inspect the spark plugs and wires and surely enough two of the wires have burnt arc marks on the side of them, (my truck had been turned on for like 10 seconds so I know this is a factory defect problem or something). I pull the wires out and take them back to the store, surely enough they accidentally sold me a used set of wires that had been returned... So I get new wires, go home and install them, the check engine light goes off and the truck is running great, after a short drive though once heated up the truck misfires again! So as unlikely as it is I figure its possible factory defect spark plugs, I buy a spark plug inline tests and begin to check the spark plugs and sure enough several are arcing, I pull all the spark plugs out clean the spark plug holes out with my fingers (got a fair bit of metal shavings and dried grease or something from each of them) and reinstall the spark plugs and wires and test them again, all are looking okay according to the inline spark plug tester (blinking the line on the tester in the right cadence and no visible arcing anywhere around the wires/plug/shielding). But now my truck is still misfiring and just at a cold idle you can feel it quite a bit, but no check engine light. This is where I am totally lost and would love any help/thoughts/suggestions anyone has.

To recap shortly-
Small issue that feels like gear slipping/resistance of some kind at dead stop and accelerating - neighbor mechanic recommends changing spark plugs
Change spark plugs and wires, got bad wires switched them out for new ones
Bought tester and pulled out spark plugs and cleaned everything now nothing is arcing or wrong with the spark plugs/wires that I can see
Truck still misfiring even at cold idle but no check engine light

Any thoughts or suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated again! The misfiring began with changing the spark plugs/wires, so I figure it has to be related, but they all test fine so I am at a total loss.

Thanks in advance