Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

04' Sierra Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Default 04' Sierra Steering Issues

Ok. so my dad paid off his truck last year and was about to trade it in. I talked him into keeping it as it's a really nice truck. Since then he has spent near $5000 on repairs! Rear main oil seal, 4x4 switches and actuator, inner tie rod, and several other things I can't remember.
Now it's in the shop for a leaking oil pan seal...apparently you have to pull the engine for that?

He has noticed the steering has some "roughness" when you turn the wheel to the left slightly. The gear box was replaced under a recall along time ago. Truck has 120k miles 4x4 extended cab. I also noticed the centerlink is loose from the pitman arms, but can't tell if that's normal. When the shop replaced the inner tie rod they didn't mention the center link or bushings, but I got underneath the truck while he turned the wheel and there is some play where the idler arms go into the centerlink.
Anybody know about some slight "shuddering" in steering? It's not very bad at all, but didn't used to do it. Only does it when you turn the wheel and normally when you're moving forward.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Default steering issues

my brother works for gm he said that gear box needs to be changed if your steering has a three bolt flang whair it goes it to the gear box from the steering shaft they have like a up grade one that has a four bolt flang that i he thinks it for 3/4 ton 4x4 i have 04 sierra with the same problem it has 54000 miles mine is hard to steer at a idle and has a monning sound it plus some electrical issues on tail wiring