Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Silverado with 4.8l

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Default 04 Silverado with 4.8l

Ok, got an 04 Silverado with a 4.8l engine. Love the truck. It runs good, has good power, and the best part, this has got to be one of the best looking body styles out there(next to the 87 i had first). What im wanting to do now is look for a little more power. Not really for towing, just to show off a little bit. Im not really interested in doing those free upgrades, except for the coolant line, I will be doing that sometime this week.

Im looking for a chip or programmer, intake(i would like to find one that places the air filter at the bottom of the engine compartment, away from the heat) and headers. Can any of yall point me in the right direction of brands and places to buy. I can install all of these myself, i have all the necessary tools and equipment. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Now, questions about my one and only problem with the truck. When im idling, its a little rough. It gets worse when I turn, and even has shut off on me. I wanted to change the fuel filter to see if that would correct my issue, and found out the truck doesnt even have one. I used injector cleaner, but that didnt seem to help. Im thinking now it may need injectors, but the truck only has 60,000 miles. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks
Sean

Old 09-03-2007, 05:04 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: 04 Silverado with 4.8l

Sean are you sure about that? All vehicles in my experience have both in intake filter and an inline filter. Might try asking Argon about that one, but I'm fairly certain it has one.

As far as the mods go. I highly recommend the free ram air- airbox mod with a K&N drop in filter. But if you are just sure you want to go aftermarket, most of the guys seem to really like Volant's CAI. For exhaust I definitely recommend a single in dual out muffler rather than installing true duals. You'll loose too much backpressure with true duals. I also recommend the Trans Dapt-Torque Curve throttle body spacer. It's only $63 on summit racing after shipping and handleing and it actually helps quite a bit for a $63 mod!

Also, pretty much everyone on here will recommend a custom tune from a company like Wheatley Tuning or Nelson Performance. Everyone says the custom tuning will get you a lot more power. Plus they can turn off your wide open throttle timed delay, which I know is killing me! I expect my track times to be much better once I get a custom tune!

Good luck with it.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:12 PM

try spark plugs, that helped my 4.8 idle a lot better... and as as far as the mods you listed, those are all good (headers are next on my list), but i'd definitely recommend a trans dapt throttle body spacer, definitely a noticeable mid-range gain for a good price

Old 09-04-2007, 07:54 AM

the furl filter is in line, right under the drivers door inside the frame rail, at least on mine,
ALSO

you want to buy a set of headers?

Old 09-06-2007, 04:19 PM

yea, im looking for headers. i looked there for the fuel filter, this truck does not have one, which im highly dissapointed in chevy for doing this. thats asking for problems imo

Old 09-06-2007, 05:21 PM

I believe in '03 was the last year we had an inline fuel filter, yours is probably inside the tank, yeah i know, but........... Fortunately, where my trucks an '03, mine was under the drivers side door/ fuel tank door, on the frame rail. My .02 worth, Jim

Old 09-06-2007, 07:18 PM
TruckForum Addict

That's gay! Why would GM have removed the inline filter? Guess that's just another way for them to make more money. They probably figure no one will take the time to drop the tank to change the filter themselves and will rather tank it to the dealer...... they'd be wrong about one person atleast!

Old 09-06-2007, 08:16 PM

Actually you can't change just the filter on those, you have to change the whole pump. And yes it is in the tank.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:20 PM

Spark plugs and wires always help. Check the plugs for fouling possibly or worn, otherwise have you tried a can of Sea foam just to rule out your injectors?

Old 09-07-2007, 06:22 PM

mine is a 05 with a 4.8 and i love it and some of the little things i have done has made a difference.. cut the air box and descreen the maf and next im doing a single in doul out exaust probly the flowmaster 44's they sound so sweet....bill