Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

05 silverado rear end clunk noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Default 05 silverado rear end clunk noise

I just bought an 05 crew cab z71 silverado with 44,000 miles. After coming to a stop, as soon as I accelerate I hear a clunking noise coming from the rear end. Anyone else having this problem if so is it a problem and what fixes it.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:44 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: 05 silverado rear end clunk noise

Okay sorry just read it was 4 wheel drive. And yes i have heard that in mine andthe dealer ship said it was the yoke.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:31 PM
TruckForum Addict

Okay sorry computer was messing up. When i just took my truck in last week right before the warrenty went up. I asked about this. When i pulled a load or even sometimes when i dont. When i came to a stop and take off i would fell a little cluke type noise. The dealer said it was going to do that being it was 4 wheel drive and they lubed the yoke. Hope this helps. Also i have no clue if the dealer is just trying to screw me. So maybe someone else will no more. Thanks

Old 02-16-2007, 12:33 AM

I also have had this at times when the truck as new. Not as much now near 45K miles, but still occasionally. Mine would actually seem to be shifting into 1st but not quite finish the shift till I hit the gas. Especially if I did not come to a full and complete stop. It still does it on occasion now but no where near as bad. The dealership said it was a known issue and there was no solution yet, but it would not hurt anything (yeah right). It also seemed like it could be the front driveshaft loading up but having no where to transfer the power since was in 2wheel drive. Has not caused any issues beside noise so far.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:05 AM
TruckForum Addict

Smoke20 thats alot better way to explain the noise. Thanks

Old 02-16-2007, 05:24 PM

I have a 2007 Sierra classic Z71. Mine does the same thing. Dealer pulled a service bulletin that stated it wasa 'momentary delay in the trany clutch packs' and not an issue unless it gets worst. I think I got 'lip service'. My noise sounds like it originates in the rear diff.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:30 PM

hunt4game29 - No prob man, just trying to help out.

Wasabi - I am pretty sure mine seems to be in the tranny transfer case area. I don't think it is in the rear diff. so these may be different issues. I do believe there were some posts about 1-2 months ago with issues in the rear diff are that were similar.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:10 AM

my truck did the same thing, as did my buddies. the dealer told him that they greased the slip yoke. this stopped the noise for some time, then his girlfriend was driving the truck doun the highway and and one of the u joints failed and the driveshaft fell out and beat his gas tank to sh*tlong story short, his driveshaft is too long and it caused the u joints to go bad. he has heard that all of the driveshafts come from the factory this way. what happens is the driveshaft is causing the slip yoke to hit the spindle when you stop and when you take off there isusually a honk. we are currently deployed and when we get back we are going to look into this better. probably just take about a half an inch or so off the shaft. you can buy shafts that are special made for around 400 dollars which is just the same price that the dealer charges for a new slip yoke

Old 11-24-2007, 03:00 PM

I finally just lubed my slip yoke. It took me 15 minutes and the clunk is gone! Now just need to get my steering clunk to go away.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:04 PM

There is a fix for that. I believe Argon posted the info in a current thread.

Quick Reply: 05 silverado rear end clunk noise