Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2002 Silverado 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Default 2002 Silverado 4x4

Hey,

I've been having issues with I believe to be my ABS brakes. I went to pull into a parking spot and my brakes gave out and then the brake started to stutter, then it eventually stopped. I almost slammed into the car ahead of me, which obviously scared the crap out of me.

Does anyone know why this is happening? I have already ran a check on it using one of those OBD2 monitors, but nothing is coming up that is wrong and there is no light on to let me know there is a problem.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 PM

Take it to the dealer and have them run a vis. It checks your vin for any open recalls. This may apply if you live in one of these areas.

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, 2000-2002 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche, 1999-2002 GMC Sierra, 2000-2002 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL vehicles located in the areas listed below. These vehicles may have a condition permitting corrosion to occur between the front hub/bearing assembly and the wheel speed sensor. If the brakes are applied while the vehicle is traveling at a speed of greater than 6 km/h (3.7 mph) but less than 16 km/h (10 mph), the corrosion may cause an unwanted anti-lock brake system (ABS) activation. If this condition occurred where stopping distance is limited, a crash could occur.

- Connecticut

- Delaware

- District of Columbia

- Illinois

- Indiana

- Iowa

- Maine

- Maryland

- Massachusetts

- Michigan

- Minnesota

- Missouri

- New Hampshire

- New Jersey

- New York

- Ohio

- Pennsylvania

- Rhode Island

- Vermont

- West Virginia

- Wisconsin

Correction

Dealers are to inspect, clean, and treat the affected area. In some cases, the front wheel speed sensor may require replacement.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:35 PM
TruckForum Addict

Yup, wheel speed sensor issue. If you have a fancy scan tool, go into the ABS module and watch the data stream. Either jump in the car and drive it, or just spin the wheels to find out which sensor it is.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM

Yeah, I did that, but no recalls.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:20 PM

It only happens every once in a while, not all of the time. The last time it happened was seven days ago, and the brakes have been working fine since. I'm just confused, why is it working one moment and not at all the next? If it was a dirty speed sensor, wouldn't be malfunctioning all of the time and not just occasionally? Just curious.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:13 AM
TruckForum Addict

Does it only happen when it's wet outside?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by raidermaniac
Yeah, I did that, but no recalls.
There ABSOLUTELY is a recall. If the dealer told you there wasn't they are lying to you. I had mine done a few years ago, but the clean and replace "fix" only fixes it temporarily. If you pitch enough of a fit you might get entire new wheel bearings out of it.

If the dealer still gives you a hard time, call chevy: 1-800-630-2438.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:37 AM
Beginner

i just called chevy and they said that there is a recall for my front speed sensors and something about a tailgate cable lol...

Old 12-15-2011, 08:34 AM

That is correct. The tailgate cables rust out fairly quickly. I got mine replaced a few years ago, and the new ones are pretty rusted up now. But hey, they were free.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:26 AM

That is so frustrating, because I have called GM twice in the last three months and they have told me that there are no recalls on my truck. I live in Alberta, Canada; if there is a recall in the states, does it apply to Canada too? As ridiculous as that sounds. Also, the lady from GM said I could always bring it in but they might not cover it (because my truck has over a 100,000 kms on it, not miles Kilometres). My truck only has 103,000 kms on it. That is making me question buying a GM truck again.

Quick Reply: 2002 Silverado 4x4