Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 silverado 5.3 JUST BOUGHT IT NEED IMPUT

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Default 2002 silverado 5.3 JUST BOUGHT IT NEED IMPUT

hey yall im new to this site and i just bought a 2002 silverado 5.3 extended cab with 77500 miles on it. i want to get a programmer, cai, headers, and i am going get true duals n put my dynomax bullets on.(input on that) eventually get it lifted but thats later on down the road. wat i am wondering is, wat are the best headers to get? i heard long tubes r better than shorties....?? wat is the best programmer for my truck? was thinking diablo (dont kno much bout it) or bullydog but i also heard that bullydog is junk for gas truck. i kno they are amazing for diesels.
i drive this truck everyday so im lookin for better gas mileage along with more hp and obviously a bit of rumble. kinda hard to get better mpg and hp, mixture just doesnt really go together.
ANY help is greatly appreciated.
thanks

Frank

Old 08-28-2009, 12:28 PM

o and i was curious...wat size piping should i go with? 2.5 or 3??

Old 08-28-2009, 04:19 PM
TruckForum Addict

Get a tune versus a handheld programmer nless you are a beginner and want to experment. As far as piping goes if it is dauling it out such *** a catback system then go with 2.5. If it is a single go with a 3 like stock is already.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:52 PM

ya its gonna be dual. the mufflers are 3 or 3.5 inlet with a turn down on the outlet. where can i get an adapter to fit a 2.5 to a 3 or 3.5? i am a beginner, but i dont kno much at all about programmers. my buddy at line x can tune my truck for $250 but if i want it changed back wouldnt i have to pay it again? as with a programmer i cud do it myself. idk i just want more bang for my buck ya kno, since im gonna be spending my hard earned money haha

Old 08-28-2009, 04:54 PM

O! and also .. i was watching on youtube this guy had a truck like mine and i asked him wtf a corvette servo was and he said its basically a bypass. ya mess with some wiring and then u get it? idk if it was u or not but idk many ppl with a servo so... cud u fill me in on wat it is. seems to give alotta *****

Old 08-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator
Old 08-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Administrator

To get an adapter to go from 3" to 2 1/2", just go down to the nearest exhaust shop and bring sample pipes of what you want to do. They can make anything and it'll cost about $10. You shouldn't need anything like that if you want to go true duals... Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it usually 2.5" going into the y pipe and then into a 3"?? Sorry but I'm not too sure how these newer trucks are set up.

As far as a tune goes, look through some of the older threads on this website because we have had some pretty good conversations about blackbear performance and nelson tunes in the past. Take a look at the Corvette Servo link that Ruffneck4life posted above, it is quite helpful

Old 08-28-2009, 08:44 PM

i have an 00 silverado with headers and i have pipes right off the headers. thats a true dual... manifold to y pipe then to piping is NOT a true deal thats a 1 ta 2 in my opinion...correct me if im wrong here

ok thanks..ill check it out

Old 08-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Well with true dual dont go big on piping. They come 3 inch from factory after cats then into y pipe and 3 inch single out. That with the muffler and cats will give good back pressure. Making the engine run wit zero restriction will rob low end power. Unless you install self made venturi's on your exhaust which will help give back pressure and flow more exhaust at the same time.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:24 PM

u lost me bud. i just want to put headers and my 2 dynomax bullets on my truck.. wat would u do? wat kinda headers are the best?

Quick Reply: 2002 silverado 5.3 JUST BOUGHT IT NEED IMPUT