Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Silverado 1500 whines in drive/ won’t move

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 09:39 PM
Beginner
Default 2004 Silverado 1500 whines in drive/ won’t move

I have an 04 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3. My gf was driving home from work and the truck started whining when she was accelerating and then it stopped accelerating all together, she then left off the gas and it continued to whine but not as loud. She used her momentum to pull off on the nearby exit and it’s still whining. After she came to a stop she shut the truck off, then turned it back on and it started and sounded fine. The second she put it into drive the whine started again and it got louder when she gave it gas but wouldn’t move. She can give it gas and the rpms go up but nothing happens. We just bought the truck 4 days ago and the tranny fluid smelt fine, it drove perfect before this and there was no warning or sounds. No grinding sounds at all even when we were able to drive it. I had it towed to the guys small town dealership where I bought it from. Djs in Ashburnham mass. He seemed like an honest guy. I call him up and tell him what happened and instantly becomes defensive and basically said that’s what happens when you buy a used truck, which I get it’s used but I want to drive it more than 4 days before It dies. The mechanic is checking it out tomorrow and thinks it’s a transfer case. Will a transfer case whine like a blown alternator when put into drive and stop the truck from moving?