Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2004 Silverado 4.3 ran rough/now no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by chevymansteve
my 04 silerado with a 5.3 has the same prob no spark at times from minites to hours and random miss firing at all speeds and temps no codes new crank sensor new MAF sensor I am a professional mech to and am looking for in put before i replace the pcm
Have you checked for weak coil?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Default 05 chevy misfire

I had the same problems. after the mechanics said fuel pump $350 same problem. it was found that the wires to the primary coil and secondary coil were bad. these wires were bad right at the plug in to coil. i had to cut the bad section out and order new plugins to crimp on. after this i have not had another problem. it seems the wires are very small. maybe undersized. and they make a very hard bend as they go into the plugins.
and for all of the know it alls who say one man can change a fuel pump by himself simply by sliding the truck bed back have obviously never done it before. IMPOSSIBLE! the bed will not slide back because of the wheel wells hitting the tires. hope this helps

Old 06-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by chazmd38
I had the same problems. after the mechanics said fuel pump $350 same problem. it was found that the wires to the primary coil and secondary coil were bad. these wires were bad right at the plug in to coil. i had to cut the bad section out and order new plugins to crimp on. after this i have not had another problem. it seems the wires are very small. maybe undersized. and they make a very hard bend as they go into the plugins.
and for all of the know it alls who say one man can change a fuel pump by himself simply by sliding the truck bed back have obviously never done it before. IMPOSSIBLE! the bed will not slide back because of the wheel wells hitting the tires. hope this helps
I did it by myself. I put the rear end on jacks, took the wheels off, unbolted the bed, and used chains and boomers to slide the bed back far enough, which is only 1 1/2 feet. With patience and will, anything is possible my friend!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:39 AM
Default No spark 2004 silverado

My 5.3 liter has 8 individual coils and wires when the truck is running it will sometimes act like spark jumpjng to the wrong wire and firing the wrong cylinder which is nearly impossible since the coils and wires are all inches apart from each other. the truck friday the truck quit going down the road then restarted hours later only to run for 15 seconds then nostart til saturday sunday it started then drove 2 miles home and died in the driveway not a fuel pump problem 55lbs pressure at the rail 616 822 203

Last edited by RUFFNECK4LYFE; 06-16-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:49 AM
Default Box removal

Im the heavyman at a high end collision shop I remove pick up beds all the time in most cases two good guys can lift and set a box back on top of the tires and rear bumper just protect the bumper w something. It is much faster to do pumps this way I have done MANY

Old 06-16-2010, 08:46 AM

My 5.3 liter has 8 individual coils and wires when the truck is running it will sometimes act like spark jumpjng to the wrong wire and firing the wrong cylinder which is nearly impossible since the coils and wires are all inches apart from each other. the truck friday the truck quit going down the road then restarted hours later only to run for 15 seconds then nostart til saturday sunday it started then drove 2 miles home and died in the driveway not a fuel pump problem 55lbs pressure at the rail 616 822 203
Sounds like a bad crank or cam sensor.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by RUFFNECK4LYFE
Sounds like a bad crank or cam sensor.
Mine is doin the same thing as his. I replaced the crank sensor since it had 3 codes for it. Cleared the codes but it still has NO SPARK

Old 08-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Default no spark

If you have changed the c/s sensor it is tricky. just putting another on will not auto fix it. You can undo the battery terminals to reset the computer and maybe that may help. On mine the wires to the primary coil and secondary coil were bad. I replaced the wires and voila. Had this not worked the c/s sensor was my next move. Check the wires here by having someone trying to crank as you wiggle them. If it will start, there is the problem. Remember it is the wires and not the coils.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:04 AM

might your engine have a "cam" sensor?

Old 12-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Default please help

my 04 silerado with a 5.3 has the same prob no spark at times from minites to hours and random miss firing at all speeds and temps no codes new crank sensor new MAF sensor I am a professional mech to and am looking for in put before i replace the pcm

if you found the problem please please please help... your problem seems identical to mine however pcm did not fix it thanks

Quick Reply: 2004 Silverado 4.3 ran rough/now no start