Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2008 GMC Sierra Needs new lifters.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Beginner
Default 2008 GMC Sierra Needs new lifters.

Just found out from the dealership my 08 Sierra needs new lifters. I have done some searching on internet and see this is a semi common issue on engines with active fuel management. I have the 6.0 with 87K miles. I was wondering a couple of things.

1. After having new lifters installed, has anyone had continued problems or other failures related to the issue? The dealership wants $3,600 for the job and I want to make sure this isn't just the begining. I looked at trading it in
and they offered my $6,500 for it. Seems low even with it needing work.

2. Since I am out of warranty, I was wondering if anyone had any success getting GM to cover part of the cost since this seems to be a known issue.

I was getting ready to trade this truck in on a 2015 2500 HD with a Duramax when my issue started. Now I am not sure I want to go that route. I come from a GM family, dad, grandfather, 3 uncles and stepfather all worked for and retired from GM. It is frustrating that after paying around 40k for a truck six years ago that its now practically worthless. This really helps destroy brand loyalty when things like this happen.

I appreciate all thoughts, opinions and comments. Thanks.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Administrator

This is just my opinion... but even after you spend the 4000 to get you engine fixed you may not get that back after you sell or trade it.
I would cut your losses and ether trade it as is or sell it as is and buy your new DMax

Old 06-19-2014, 08:56 AM
TruckForum Addict

I have seen many cases where GM can step in to help with out of warranty repairs. Usually they will only help with something that is just outside of powertrain 5 year 100K warranty. I'd contact GM and see if they're willing to help.

And honestly, with it being an AFM engine, I'd ask them to put on the updated valve cover and oil pan gasket too. Those AFM engines can sometimes burn oil on the turn off cylinders and fowl the spark plugs. It's a shame they only offered you that much for it, because honestly around here in Detroit, used pickups like yours go for $14-20K used.

If it were me, I'd look into buying my own parts and having someone install them for me. Get GM lifters, but have someone else install them for cheap, then trade the truck in for the new truck you want

Lifters on your truck require cylinder head removal, which isn't all that hard. If you're handy with tools, you can get it done on the cheap yourself. There isn't any rocket science to it, it's just a Chevy V8 that's more modern than the older ones.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the replies.

Just an update.

I called GM customer care this morning and and explained the situation. They opened up a case file and said they would be contacting the dealership to see if the can work out a resolution to my problem. I was told it could be up to 48 hrs before I was contacted again so I will have to be patient.

In the mean time, the dealership now wants to give me 10K for the truck. I am thinking if GM pitches in some for the repair, I could get up to 14k for it.

If I do have it repaired, I will ask them about the updated valve cover and oil pan gasket.

Again, thanks for the replies.