Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

2010 Chevrolet Silverado Slight Hesitation upon Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:51 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by acnas
Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment on a sag or hesitation when accelerating under the following conditions:

When coasting at low speeds of less than 15 miles per hour with a closed throttle and then aggressively applying the throttle. Examples of this maneuver include a rolling stop or a lane change maneuver. In this type of maneuver, even though the accelerator is applied aggressively, the throttle blade is opened slowly for up to 0.7 seconds to help minimize drive-line lash and clunking.

Also in a vehicle equipped with a six speed automatic transmission when making a hard, complete stop with a closed throttle, immediately followed by an aggressive throttle opening the transmission down-shifts may not be completed by the time the throttle is opened. As a result approximately 0.5 seconds of ″zero″ torque may be commanded to allow the shift to first gear to occur.

Recommendation/Instructions
Both of the above conditions are a result of Torque Management and both of these conditions should be considered normal and no repairs should be attempted
Again, the issue happens only when accelerating from a stop (whether that be slow or fast), and from shifting from third to fourth. It's noticeable when coming off the highway at low speeds when accelerating.

I'm unsure if the issue is transmission related, fuel or electrical, but this isn't normal behavior.

Further, when I tow my ATV trailer with two ATV's (total weight including trailer) 2000 lbs. which is well within the towing limit, the truck shouldn't be bucking, that is not normal behavior. So with that being said, there is certainly an issue that needs to be addressed.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Beginner

As I suspected, the issue wasn't 'fuel' related. The issue was within the drivetrain as the torque converter was on it's way out by locking and unlocking itself under light and heavy loads.

With that being said, the dealer replaced the torque converter under my powertrain warranty, and it seems to be fine (so far). However, the real test will be when I tow with the truck.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:27 PM

I would think it would have shown up more on a hill at say 45-50mph under a load (convertor locked up) bumping in and out. Not while accelerating? Hope that's it. Atleast it was covered!

Old 07-21-2014, 08:54 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by acnas
I would think it would have shown up more on a hill at say 45-50mph under a load (convertor locked up) bumping in and out. Not while accelerating? Hope that's it. Atleast it was covered!
It was worse when towing a trailer as the entire truck would shake/shudder.

From what I can tell (so far), the issue has been resolved.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:52 PM
Beginner

I am having the same issue that acnas described, but my delay times are much longer than mentioned. I have a 2011 Silverado LT with 73,000 miles. I have taken to the Dealer 2 times and an outside automotive/transmission shop and they all said nothing wrong with the truck. Very hard to believe. When I go up a hill, I have to floor the throttle just to get it to drop to a lower gear, then you better hold on when it catches up. Also has issues with it going in and out of V8 to V4. Throttle body and air intake sensor have both been cleaned and no improvement in performance. Has any other information come out about this issue or is there another thread that address this issue? Chevrolet Customer Care is asking me to take to Dealer again, just not sure what this will accomplish. The truck is awful to drive around in. Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.