Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

305 efi to a 6 liter engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Default 305 efi to a 6 liter engine swap

hi everyone the other day i was brainstorming ideas on what i could do with my 88 chevy pickup its a half ton 4 wheel drive with a 305 in it and a 5 manual transmission (hm290) i would like to take the 305 out of it and put a bigger motor in it, and put a n4500 transmission it it, but my first problem is that i would like to know is; will a 6 liter vortec motor that came out of a 2000 3/4 ton chevy fit on the stock engine mounts ( of an 88-98 chevy) and will it bolt up to my existing transmission. i would like to do this because i found a 6 liter that i could pickup for cheap and it has a roller cam in it and that is something i would like to have in the new motor that i put in it.. and when i put a new motor in my pickup i would like to carb it which is possible to do with a 6 liter vortec
so has any one heard of this being done before and a can it be done with out doin any to very few modifications to the frame or body of the pickup

and also as far as i know that gm has not change there bolt patterns on there engine blocks for along time so that any transmission auto or manual should bolt up to any v8 motor. like a 6 liter should bolt up to an nv3500 (not something you would want to do but it should work)

Old 07-25-2011, 08:10 PM

Where there's a will, there's a way. Just remember, you need wiring harness, ecm, everything. You'll also neec good wiring schematics to make sure you get everything hooked up and how to bypass things you won't be using. It's a ton of work but I'd love to sre it. If you call Painless, the can build the harness you need but it won't come cheap. I'd think a 454 fom the same year would be easier.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:11 AM

ya i was thinking the same about the 454 being easier to, i also know where to get one of those and it also has a roller cam in i think but you can get a controller box from msd that uses the factory connections (cam sensor and connects to the coil pacts) all that is needed is 12 volt power and ground its like 350 bucks from summit and you can get it with an carb intake manifold to for around $750 it wont be cheap thats for sure but it will be better than getting a special water pump to use a distributor. then i was goin to put in all manual gauges; get a fuel pressure regulator to bring the pressure from 60 down to 10 pounds for the carb. this being if i use a 6 liter

Old 07-26-2011, 06:30 AM

I had actually forgotten about the fuel distribution. The make an adjustable inline pump that can mount on the frame if you go with the 6 but pricey. I'd still be more apt to go 454, easier to get, cheaper, great power band and monster torque when you need it. Sometimes we forget that trucks need torque more than hp but the 6 will get better mileage. It's a cool conversion and both have their perks for sure.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by MrDragon
I had actually forgotten about the fuel distribution. The make an adjustable inline pump that can mount on the frame if you go with the 6 but pricey. I'd still be more apt to go 454, easier to get, cheaper, great power band and monster torque when you need it. Sometimes we forget that trucks need torque more than hp but the 6 will get better mileage. It's a cool conversion and both have their perks for sure.

what is the inline pump for. and why is that needed ? my pickup does already have an electric fuel pump

Last edited by 88silverado; 07-26-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:02 PM

My mistake, I was thinking your truck was older.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:32 PM

My mistake, I was thinking your truck was older.
ok ya thats what i thought you were thinking, my pickup is the next body style like the 90s it was the first year they came out with them 1988 -98. is there any thing else that you can think of that may cause some problems ?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:50 PM

Not really, you might have to relocate the trans crossmember, I'm not sure yours will work.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:19 PM

Not really, you might have to relocate the trans crossmember, I'm not sure yours will work.

ya you know i was thing the same my self there may be a few variables that i will not be sure of till it goes in like if the 6 liter is longer than the 305 and if the nv4500 has the same bolt patterns on it for the cross member. i may have to make a new cross member or redrill and relocate it and if that is the case my stock drive shaft may not work it may need to be shorter or longer i wont know till i get to that point. and if that is the case how do you get a drive shaft that will work if no stock drive shafts work

Old 07-27-2011, 08:47 PM

Look up a local driveshaft shop. They can tell you how to measure and build what you need. There's a great one here in Indy I've used for years, they're reasonable and stand behind their work.