Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

33X12.50R15 on a 98 K1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 06:53 AM
Default 33X12.50R15 on a 98 K1500

I have a 1998 K1500 4X4 with ifs and was wanting to put a set of 33X12.50R15 on it. I have a set of Outlaw 1 15" wheels to put on it so it will be dished out. I was thinking about just putting the leveling kit on the front and doing a 2" block, add a leaf or shackles on the back. I was wondering if someone might be able to tell me if this will work or give me a cheaper or better way to do it. I have the stuff to do a homemade 3" body lift but I just don't know how to extend the steering stem on it. So if someone might even be able to help me with this I would greatly appreciate any advice on these topics.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:31 AM

do a 3 inch body lift. i got the same setup and it looks pretty good. still looking for my set of rims and tires for it though. i looked into the leveling kit too. but after that im pretty sure youll have to get it aligned. im still thinking about getting a 3 inch suspension lift. but if you dont like the frame sticking out dont do the body lift but it don't look bad painted black

Old 07-01-2009, 05:46 PM

I have a 3" lift (not body) and I really like it. I will be getting a set of 33x12.5 this summer and i know that I am going to have to trim the front bumper back just a bit for turning clearance (I have already had a set on the truck to size it up). I am debating about spending the money and going to a true 4" lift so that I don't have to do any cutting, not mention the extra height wouldn't hurt.

I have a friend with a 3" body and he still had to trim his front bumper to fit his 33x12.5 tires but the truck looks really good (that coming from someone who is not a fan of body lifts).

The tires will fit with the blocks in the rear but they will not fit with just a leveling kit, you will need more than that. It might work if you get a different torsion key and turn up the t-bars (depending on how much you are willing to turn them and should turn them while keeping a half way decent ride). But you will still have to trim the front bumper a little.

Basically you are going to have to do a little bit of trimming no matter what to give your self some breathing room over bumps and things.

Good Luck!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:36 PM

If I did the torsion keys would I have to have it realigned? Also I am going to do the body lift but I am using 3" tubing for the blocks with longer bolts and I have almost everything else. I just don't know how to extend the steering shaft. I am on a very limited budget that is why I am trying to do this homemade lift.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:43 AM

Yeah I couldnt help you with extending the steering shaft. That is why they make the kit. I have honestly never looked at it so I dont even know what it would take to make one.

You would have to get an alignment with either turning the torsion bars up or replacing the torsion keys. But you should pay much for that.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:39 PM

I have no idea what you guys are talking about, if you trim and turn up the bars a little bit you can fit 35x12.50's with a decent wheel offset. I know because I had them on my truck and decided not to trim. (As a result they ended up rubbing and bending the fenders until they cleared)

(Don't ask me what the offset is on my wheels because I don't know what it is and I will not take on off just to measure it)

Old 07-02-2009, 05:24 PM

35's??!!! I guess you could "fit" them under there but I am guessing you would have serious rubbing problems if you didn't have a crazy offset, and if you did any off roading you would be smashing your fenders up all the time. My tires come close to hitting the fenders as is.

I guess I just like me a little bit of clearance to move around a bit.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:16 AM

I miss typed, NOT 35's! No but 33's can fit pretty easy. Like I said I had a set of 33x12.50 BFG M/T's on my current not lifted or level'd truck. Just a little bit of wheel offset and the right amount of torsion bar adjustment and away we went!

Thanks for pointing out the typo!

Old 07-06-2009, 06:12 PM

Oh ok! Now it all makes sense. Yeah you can fit them but like you said it will hit. I just prefer to have a little room i guess.

I was thinking there is no way lol.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:10 AM

Yeh, no way to do 35's on stock syspension unless you are willing to do a lot of cutting! Like the whole truck being cut up.

HMMM, we may have an idea!

Quick Reply: 33X12.50R15 on a 98 K1500