Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

41.5 MPG in my Pontiac Grand Prix GT!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Default 41.5 MPG in my Pontiac Grand Prix GT!!!!!!

I know this is a truck website but I couldn't pass this one up. I'm on a road trip from Oklahoma to Montana and my wife hit a deer in Nebraska. Tore up the front driver's headlight and bent the front inch of the hood under along a 7 inch strip. Broke some bracketing on the front bumper but that's it. Now for some reason my car which usually gets around 26-30 mpg is actually pulling 41.5 through hills and mountains!!!!!!!! The math and the DIC are both telling me that's the magic number. I'm running premium gas and and K&N Filter in the car, but that's it! The only thing I can think of is that the driver's headlightis in front of the air box and it's working like a redneck air ram. I had to adjust the hood stop because the deer tweeked it alittle and I raised it up some on the drivers side.

This is crazy! Anyone guess why it's this good?

Old 05-07-2007, 02:38 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: 41.5 MPG in my Pontiac Grand Prix GT!!!!!!

Thats because your wifes driving and you arent. Its proven that women get better gas mailage then guys. That is most women. Hope everythings going okay on your trip besides that.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:51 PM

^^That's because we're always trying/willing to race someone!

If I kept my foot out of the gas on my car, I should average around 19 miles per gallon. Since I don't I probably average closer to 12. If gas prices weren't going so damn high, it'd be alot easier on the wallet!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 PM

must be the ram air effect.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:46 AM

Again, I find it hard to believe but I'm very happy for your gains! Every little bit helps with the rising gas prices these days. That is the 3800 series engine 3.8L correct? If so, they are extremely efficient on fuel. Congrats again bro!

Old 05-08-2007, 02:53 AM

I honestly find this hard to believe, but if you have increased mpg this much from hitting a deer, I'm going to run my truck into a ****ing brick wall!!

Old 05-08-2007, 03:07 AM

Brick walls won't move as much a deer will when you hit them, but I won't argue with you if you want to try! I couldn't believe it either when I did the math - but that's what happend. We cleared out the DIC and twice to check and ran the math and with 91 octane fuel we got 39 mpg on one tank and 41.5 mpg on the other..... I'm really blown away by it. And I actually did most of the driving too.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: SC_Chevy_Lover

That is the 3800 series engine 3.8L correct? If so, they are extremely efficient on fuel. Congrats again bro!
Yes they are. I'm getting 30+ out of my 4300, without people, minivan!

Old 05-08-2007, 04:03 PM

I dont want anybody to B!T@H about gas prices.. I am stuck in Italy right now. The other night I needed some gas to get home.. I pulled into the AGIP (Italian gas station) and gave the guy a 20 euro.. He pumped gas for about 30 seconds.. Gas out here is roughly $8 a gallon.. DRIVE ALL YOUR TRUCKS FOR ME.. Cuz damnit, I CANT! Heres to you America! Cheapest gas in the world! GOD BLESS THE USA!

Old 05-08-2007, 06:05 PM

ORIGINAL: HarderThanRocks

I dont want anybody to B!T@H about gas prices.. I am stuck in Italy right now. The other night I needed some gas to get home.. I pulled into the AGIP (Italian gas station) and gave the guy a 20 euro.. He pumped gas for about 30 seconds.. Gas out here is roughly $8 a gallon.. DRIVE ALL YOUR TRUCKS FOR ME.. Cuz damnit, I CANT! Heres to you America! Cheapest gas in the world! GOD BLESS THE USA!
I understand what you are saying completely. I was stationed in Germany for four years and the gas prices were ridiculous. However, being in the Air Force I was fortunate to buy gas on base from AAFES (Army Air Force Exchange service) around the prices the US had. If I ever traveled, I would purchase fuel coupons that I could use at most gas stations throughout Europe.

Here is a fact. Gas prices in Europe have always been higher than the US and they always will be.

The increasing gas prices are becoming a nuisance to middleclass Americans, especially those who have a longer than average commute to work.

I’ve heard speculations that gas prices will reach four dollars a gallon by August. Something as got to give here…

Quick Reply: 41.5 MPG in my Pontiac Grand Prix GT!!!!!!