Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

454 Swa Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Smile 454 Swa Questions

So I'm considering swapping my 350 for a 454 chevy on my 1988 Gmc C1500.
I need to know what I'm getting myself into (I'm 17 and mostly jobless, so I'd like to keep the budget fairly low)
Questions are: Will I need to change motor mounts, suspension, or anything in the computer? And also, what will I need besides the engine? I'd like to do an engine from '86 or before, because I want a carburetor, and upgrade parts are cheaper. Would this be possible, or legal for that matter? I live in Oregon, so I'm concerned about passing smog, and the legality. I couldn't find hardly anything online, so I'm coming to you guys. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

17 + jobless = save your money for something else.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:12 PM

Yeah I knew that'd be said. Haha. Thing is, this is my moneypit. I'm getting a job soon anyway. If it wasn't this, it would be subs or something.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 PM

Yeah I was just busting your *****. You should be able to use the same mounts, but they have to be moved - the holes are already there so just move them to the forward mounting location. You really need to do something with the transmission too - that will be your weak link. Personally for the money you are going to spend I would put it into the small block in performance parts. It will be cheaper and easier and unless you were putting a real healthy big block the power will be similar. If your bottom end is good slap a good set of heads, cam, intake, and carb or (and this is what I prefer) keep the TBI and throw a supercharger on it. There is a website dedicated to hopping up the TBI's (TBIChips.Com) check it out. You keep the reliability of fuel injection and still have a truck that will run real well.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Unhappy

I've got a TH400 with a shift kit, so that won't be a problem. But I see what you're saying. The problem is, I've already done all I can to it without spending major money. It's got Roller rockers, upgraded injectors, headers, bored stock intake, and it's chipped. I've hit a HP wall unless I spend more than $400, and I figure for that price, I can just get a big block from a parts truck, and build on that as I go. I'd like to get a supercharger, but the cheapest that I can find is 1600 for a used wiend, that probably doesn't even fit my heads. That's another problem. Since my engine is between carbed and the vortech engines, almost NOTHING fits it. And for new heads, it'd be around 400 at least, which brings us back to the expensive upgrades problem.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:58 AM

It is all what you want to do, but a good big block swap I am sure will hit the $1000 or better range. I am not here to change your mind - go for it! Take a lot of pictures!

Old 12-16-2011, 01:47 PM

Thanks! I definitely understand what you're saying. If I can't do it for fairly cheap, I might just wait. Another option is get one and rebuild it, since I have the tools and most of the knowledge to do it. That might be better. Lol we'll see.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:42 PM

Change in plans. I found a 400 small block, #330817 that I can hear run, and pick up for about $400 (mostly cause its ugly, i know the guy and i trust that its a good runner) It's from the mid 70's, from what i can find out. Do you know if the computer in my truck will let an older engine run?
Sorry for all the questions, I just don't know much about this.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Beginner

if i was u ill buy me a little 327 5.3 year 03+ engine and slap on

i think it will be cheaper than making that 454 run imo

Old 12-17-2011, 12:15 AM

A newer one would be cheaper? What about the 400? Any idea if my computer would let it run? Any way to adapt it?

Quick Reply: 454 Swa Questions