Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by NullHead
Hmm I'll have to try that. I'm pretty sure my 4x4 works pretty good, but I really didn't know about the front axle lock in thing. What's really the point of that? is it to make sure the diff isn't constantly spinning? The CV axles are always spinning, so this is just to isolate the differential when the truck is in 2wd mode, right?
This is what makes shift on the fly possible. When shifting into 4wd the synchronizer in the transfer case only has to bring the t-case chain/sprockets, front drive shaft and R&P up to speed. The axle shafts/hubs are already in motion. Well, it makes it easier than the '81-87 trucks with auto hubs. And Dodge actually went away from this CAD system on their newer trucks so the front drive shaft is always turning, ala 1970s NP203 all over again.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 PM
TruckForum Addict

Okay, so my next question is how hard is it to swap from an open diff to a G80? I'm find with going with factory parts. That, or maybe something that's aftermarket that does about the same job. My truck is on pavement 99% of the time, so I really don't need a locker all of the time. Maybe I want posi instead of a locker? What do you guys think? I just know that it would be really nice to have a locker if the situation ever calls for it, such as mirrors deep in mud, or door handles deep in snow kinda thing

Maybe something like this little guy?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dt...make/chevrolet

Last edited by NullHead; 01-06-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:23 PM

How about a "lunch box" locker?
Like: Powertrax at SummitRacing.com: locking differentials, no-slip traction systems, differential cross shafts and springs & more
Labor would be a lot less since you could do it yourself with out any special tools. It should work fine for the light application you're looking at. Yes they are only as strong as the case they are installed in but you're not looking for hard wheeling.

Or look for a salvage yard axle with a G80 in it.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Did you add the front locker?
What kind is it, ARB, E-locker?
I did not put it in, it was in the truck when I bought it. I have never taken apart to look at it, the guy I got the truck from just said it was in there, and I know I have videos of all four tires kicking up snow and mud.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 PM
TruckForum Addict

Hmmm that is an interesting idea. I really don't need anything hard core. Though, maybe I should go posi only because it's better for street driving. How does a posi hold up in the mud? I know its better for muscle car type applications because of the constant torque on it helps grip both axles together ... Right?

So in reality, is an open diff in front and rear really all that bad for offroading/snowy conditions? I really have loved having 4x4 in the snow so far