Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

4x4 + lowered.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Default 4x4 + lowered.

i have a 2000 silverado standard cab Z71. its a 4 wheel drive truck but i want to lower it. i'm only looking to go with a 2" front 3" rear drop from belltech. the only problem is all the sets listed say 2 wheel drive trucks. does dropping my truck **** up my 4 wheel so much i cant use it? because i live in mass and there a definately times where it comes in handy.

can anyone tell me if it ****s up my 4 wheel or not. cause if it does i dont know if i want to do it.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Default RE: 4x4 + lowered.

i dont know what it does, but i wouldnt lower a 4x4 anyway, thats what 2wd are for

Old 02-13-2008, 10:33 AM

A highschool buddy of mine dropped a 98 4x4 Tahoe in 1999 (he was loaded) and had to spend around $2000 for just the drop. He needed the 2wd drive kit and then had to have torsion keys and hubs made to accomodate the drop without reaking havoc on the halfshafts and front drive shaft. His was a 2"F 3"R drop. His was wasn't the cheapest you can go, but it was done right and it was pretty much trouble free except a few alignment problems down the road.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:08 AM

Why the hell would you want to lower a 4x4 truck? Everyone wants to raise them!!

Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 AM

I wouldn't, Id maybe go 20" wheels or bigger and the biggest tires I could go to fill up thefender wells to get the "street" look. But I'd just leave the suspension alone rather than lower it.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:45 PM
TruckForum Addict

I'm more partial to lowering them myself as well. Although it seems kinda redundant to lower a 4x4, I can also understand that there are 2 possibilities here. 1, he had already bought a 4x4 before he decided he wants to lower it, and 2, maybe he can't afford to sell it and hunt down another one to lower.

I say go for it man. The reason you don't see kits for the 4x4 is because MOST people won't lower one. That doesn't mean no one does it's just not a commonly sought after setup so the aftermarket parts injustry doesn't promote it. I imagine if you gave Belltech a call as well as some other suspension companies they could help you figure out exactly what you need for the setup you want.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:52 PM

ya i went on to stylintrucks.com and found a DJM lowering kit for a 4x4 truck of my year. and they say that lowering it 2" front and 3" rear wont do anything to my 4WD.

the reason i want to lower my 4WD truck is cause everyone in me town raises them, and honestly i think a raised standard cab, shortbed, step-side truck, looks practically retarded. it's too short to raise, and i've seen a same year GMC step-side lowered and it looks sick.

as for wheels i plan to get 20's with some tire (so it doesnt completely compensate my ride) so it looks good, but not too gay. so nice 6 spoke wheels with atleast 4 inches of tire on the sidewall will look good. once i get it done i will definately put up a pic.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:14 AM
TruckForum Addict

That's exactly what I wanna do. I also wanna do a billet grill and roll pan though. Course I guess I should want in one hand and deficate in the other to see which fills up the fastest.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:56 AM

ORIGINAL: 72charger

Course I guess I should want in one hand and deficate in the other to see which fills up the fastest.
Words to live by my man.

Anyway, if you're absolutely dead set on dropping the truck 2F 3R, do yourself a favor and buy a completely new set of shocks for it. A camber kit wouldn't hurt either.

You're going for a 20" right? Keep it simple and stick with at least a 45+ series sidewall. You do not want to bend a focking rim... trust me. I bent the 22"s on my rental car in Vegas by hitting a goddamn pothole at 5mph. Mass aint exactly known for their superbly mainatined roads, so be careful.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:37 AM

Thats cool as hell that they have that kinda drop now for 4x4s. I mean there have been a ton of people around here wanting that look and a 2wd truck in winter is useless here. Back when I was in school I know they didn't have that kinda kit.

C.R.E.A.M. : If you drop your truck, post some pics.

Quick Reply: 4x4 + lowered.