Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

79 Chevy Stepside actin funny

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Default 79 Chevy Stepside actin funny

Hi, I'm Ariel. I'm new to this site and new to owning a Chevy as well. I just want to get some insight to why my truck is acting weird. Recently just started smoking real bad out of my exhaust pipes, when i start it it idles really high but once i put it in gear it settles down, then when at a dead stop it idles with its regular rhythm but then drops for a second, tries to rear forward then it smokes up more. And it's runnin really rich. Is this a carb and timing ussue?

Old 07-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Beginner

What colour is the smoke? Generally white is water (coolant) could be head gasket. Grey is oil burning. Black smoke is usually too much fuel (carb problem or vaccuum leak ?). What engine does it have? Any modifications?

Last edited by daveb1; 07-23-2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: more questions
Old 07-24-2011, 05:48 PM

its a 350 motor, and it's black smoke. Im pretty sure my air to fuel ratio is way off. The previous owner was an 18 year old who rigged everything.... stuck a liquor cork where the breather valve should be..is just one thing he did lol but i know theres some aftermarket headers and exhaust on it but i dont really know about it.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:11 PM

Grab a screwdriver, turn the adjustment screws all the way in. Then back each one out about a quarter turn. Start the truck and let it clean itself out. With the truck running, turn the fuel side out about another eigth of a turn and you should be good.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:32 PM

Alright I'll have to try that tomorrow. It's down pourin like hell here. I'll let ya know if it works lol thanks man =)

Old 07-24-2011, 07:16 PM

No problem, anytime.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by MrDragon
No problem, anytime.
OK so I got a new edelbrock (sp?) on there and all the necessary pieces that should be replaced when you put a new one on. Checked for any vacuum leaks and there werent any, but now my truck doesnt have the get up n go grrr it had once before, and it smells more like gas now, even tho leaks were already checked and none were found. =(

Old 07-30-2011, 07:55 PM

Did you get the adapter plate down tight and put the gaskets on as well ? I have an Edelbrock on my 85 and it works like a charm. With you mentioning it having the fuel smell, it might be running rich. You have 2 adjusters on the front, one for each side of the carb. Turn each one counter clockwisr just a hair. The highet elevations are tricky to dial in.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:12 PM

Also Ariel, take a look in the manual thingy and see if it mentions anything about high altitude settings. I'll talk to an old racing buddy tomorrow, he may have the setup floating around in his brain.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:19 PM

Just found a setup guide, you should have gotten one with your carb. It will have various altitude setups on a scale and halfass walk you through the setup. Let me know what you find.

Quick Reply: 79 Chevy Stepside actin funny