Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

93 Engine Swap/Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Default 93 Engine Swap/Rebuild

I want to build something with a little bit of power, I was thinking a 4 bolt block 30 over with vortec heads/intake and a good truck cam. Is there any way I would be able to use my stock TBI with a change of jets and a flash for the new build? Also I am not familiar with the various sensors on the motor I am use to the old 350's with nothing but a carb. So will those transfer to any 350 block or do newer ones have special spots for said sensors? Thanks in advance.
Edit
Only reason to start on a different block is because I need the truck so I can't have it down for a few weeks while I get it sorted out. Just out of curiosity, are the 93 350's a 2 or 4 bolt block?

Old 04-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I did a 1995 truck back a few years ago that originally had a 305 in it. I swapped it for a 350 with vortec heads. The new 350 was .10 over and had tad higher compression pistons in it. I used a stock 350 throttle body and ECM. GM performance sells an intake that bolts to vortec heads and is set up for a throttle body. I also used a computer friendly crane cam. I am going back about 8 years so I am sure some new stuff has come out since then, but yes it is definitely possible. All in all I wasn't that impressed with the end result. It did have more power than my stock 305, but those throttle bodies can only flow so much. It basically ran like a stock 96 and later vortec 350 truck (maybe). You can't beat multiport injection. I would have been better off selling my truck and buying one a year newer!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:14 PM

Hum, so the stock throttle body is not going to cut it. If I was to switch to a carb would the computer be bothered by not having the throttle body hooked up? Then just run a hei distributor to get rid of the computer controlled timing.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:02 PM

Yeah, if you switch to carb it will throw the computer off big time. Maybe somebody else will respond that has had better luck with the throttle body motors. I just sold a 1991 Shortbed Regular Cab that had a supercharged 350 TBI motor and it really wasn't all that either. I bought it at a dealer auction and thought "this is what I have always wanted" but it just didn't run that great. I mean it was fun and would light up the tires, but just didn't have what I thought it should. I had a 2002 Chevy 2500HD with an 8.1 Liter that would spank both of the trucks I have talked about.
To get what it sounds like your trying to do you would need to pretty much get rid of your computer and put a carb motor in there. You will have to do some research on sensors, guages, fuel delivery, etc. though. I have seen all out prostreet trucks of that era that ran like a bitch, but it's not as simple as just slapping a carb motor in there. I am sure it will get expensive real quick.
Holley makes throttle bodies maybe check into one of those or (I am not sure if they re still open) there was a company called Turbo City that were reworking the stock throttle bodies to flow better. What would be killer is if somehow you could get a 454 throttle body to work on a small block. I am sure there would need to be a special chip made, but that would flow well I am sure. HMMMMM!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:05 PM

Turbo City still has a website up with some real interesting stuff. Here is the link...
http://www.turbocity.com/product_inf...roducts_id=142