Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

97 Silverado Engine Kills

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Default 97 Silverado Engine Kills

So, my '97 Silverado and I were in line at the local fast food joint the other day and my truck simply shut off while at the window. Truck was in OD and the brake was on, not moving, and then the engine died. Since then, the truck has died while driving down the road (less than 2ooo rpms) and when the RPMs are high, the truck lags like when a tranny is slipping but the RPMs drop, then regain. I can start the vehicle right back up again by slipping it into N and turning it over. I am not sure if it is an electrical or vacuum issue. But I am confident that the knowledge of this forum will help catch the culprit. Thanks in advance for the information.

Also, checked the tranny fluid when i got home (was low), and filled to the HOT mark while hot. And I did a quick check of vacuum lines and PCV (PCV wasn't actuating, i pulled it off the valve cover and plugged it with my thumb while the vehicle was running and it started rattling again).

Now i'm stuck driving the family car...

Old 11-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Check your fuel filter or I should say go ahead and replace it. They are too cheap to reinstall one that isn't new.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 PM

I just replaced it this summer; and it isn't sputtering like I would think a clogged fuel filter would act. When it shuts off it seems like there is an electrical (kinda like a solenoid activating) click and the motor dies.
No SES.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:52 PM

Check your cable connections and if you still have the original double positive going to the battery make sure the lead spacer that goes between the terminals is not squished. If you tighten the positive terminal make sure that neither one can be moved. I just went through this on my 98. It would just die like someone turned the ignition off. It would restart though - new battery terminal and spacer fixed it. I made the mistake of just making sure the terminal was tight and not making sure there was actually a good clamping force on the terminals. The terminal was bottoming out in the battery socket due to the spacer being squished.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:06 AM

I do have the double positive and will check the tightness and contacts of both on the battery. Hopefully this will be the resolve, I will update tonight.
Thanks for the help thus far!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Beginner

I just went through almost the exact situation you are describing. Two months ago my 98 had all the same symptoms as yours. It started doing it occasionly and became more frequent. Ended up being the fuel pump on its way out. Just curious, does your engine light come on/stay on when it happens? Every time mine died in flight, it threw a P1361 code. Kept referring it back to an igniton control module.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:44 PM

Yeah, I just replaced the fuel filter and we'll see if it happens again on the way to the parts store tomorrow... (wasn't the double positive cables-Mr_Shamrock, however, much obliged) Took it to the shop and they told me it had low fuel pressure. Hoping it will be the filter, but looking forward to the garage time with my truck and fridge. BTW, drop the tank OR pull the box? I have a steel I-beam that runs the length of my garage and I was thinking that a come-along would hold the box up while I replaced the pump. (with proper safeties attached to the box to prevent my body from adhering my pickup frame and box, of course)

Also, no check engine light.

Last edited by 97zsilvy; 12-01-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: I forgot to write something.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:54 PM

Definitely lift the bed off. When I did mine I just loosened the passenger side bolts and removed the drivers side bolts and jacked up the drivers side high enought to get to the pump. One man job - less than 3 hours.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:59 PM

Here's mine...

Old 12-03-2011, 09:39 AM

Mr_Shamrock,
You definitely do not get paid enough for the wisdom that you share!!! You have no idea how much you are appreciated. Thank you kindly for the information.

Respectfully,
Josh

Quick Reply: 97 Silverado Engine Kills