Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

99 gmc sierra classic died on the way home, won't start now

Old 09-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Default 99 gmc sierra classic died on the way home, won't start now

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Classic. 5.7L Vortec. Driveing home from school truck hesitated 3 times and then died on the side of the road. Seemed as if it wasn't getting fuel because i ended up getting it going after a while of cranking and lots of pushing on gas pedal. Got it home then took it to the field.. truck broke down again. Truck will not start now. Pulled it home with a chain and put it in the shop. Fuel pump is cycleing intermitently and took the line off after the fuel filter, turned the key on and i'm getting lots of fuel. Checked for spark and i have nothing. I tested the coil, was told i should get between .70-1.70 if its working good and i'm in that range. I swapped the wire between coil and distributor, rotor, and ignition module with the ones in my brothers truck (all work FINE). Still nothing. Not sure what to do now.. could still be distributor cap maybe but does anyone have any other ideas/diagnosis? I also think it might be something to do with the immobilizer that is kinda there (some wires were cut by previous owner). Any help would be MUCH appreciated!! Had same problems with my dodge and it ended up being pickup coil in the distributor. Getting fed up already.. don't want to have to find a trailer and take it into the shop but if worst comes to worst i won't have a choice.