Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

About to destroy my baby due to frustration!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Angry About to destroy my baby due to frustration!!

Hey guys I really hope someone can point me in the right direction. I have an '02 chevy 1500 with a 5.3 and about two weeks ago I was leaving work and my truck started running really rough like it was getting no fuel so I went with the cheap option first and replaced the fuel filter which was rusted with the fuel line and I tweeked the fuel line getting it off but bent it back into almost it's old shape that did it for a day or two then with about a quarter tank of gas I added a bottle of lucas injector cleaner which I do once in a while and on my way to top off the tank about a mile and a half away it ran like **** again started dying and backfired a couple of times until I filled the tank then ran fine for a day with the check engine light on which read both banks when I got it checked out at autozone so the solution was a new MAF I cleaned the old one first and it was fine for a day or two and then started loosing all power and dying again. I replaced the MAF and it was fine for about twenty min and started cutting back power down the interstate around 70 80 and then kick back in and then out again someone suggested check my fuel pressure when driving down the interstate but didn't really say what it could be. fuel punp sounds strong and I just replaced the fuel filter spark plugs wires and new spectre air intake and MAF! please any help would be much appreciated

Old 11-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

I would be curious of the fuel pressure as well. The fuel pumps in these in trucks can start periodically going bad and then running good for a short time. I learned that from experience. My last truck was low on gas (but not near empty) and started bucking and chugging. Luckily I was right at a gas station. I filled it up and it ran fine, so I thought it was a bad gauge and I was running out of gas. I continued on that day and finished the rest of my jobs (I had a handyman business then). On the way back from my last job it quit on me right at an intersection. Luckily again I was right next to a gas station and had built up enough momentum to coast into the station. I put a pump in it and got another year out of it before selling it. I know the guy that bought it and he never had that issue again.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

I know someone had a similar problem on another forum and it turned out the hose the strainer feeds in the fuel tank was corroded and split open. So I would look into it being something corroded fuel wise.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:27 PM

thanks guys for the help it's been doing fine for the last few days but if it acts up again i'm gonna suck it up and replace the pump. One other question when it gets cold out not necessarily below freezing my temp/compass in my rear view mirror will read ICE and i can't find any info on why it says this? Nothing in the owners manual and no one has heard that before any ideas.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:12 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

My wife's Yukon and my old truck said ICE also when it got real cold. I never compared it to whether or not it was below freezing, I just assumed it was.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:28 PM
TruckForum Addict

I have compared the ICE on the mirror with teh weather man's weather forcast. It seems pretty close, but nothing more than a warning for a possibility of ice.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:45 PM

On my 2007 and 2010 when the outside thermometer gets down to 34-35F i get a "Possible Ice" warning. My garage is about 55F all winter so I see this every morning within the first 2-3 miles. It has nothing to do with mositure or road conditions, just temp.