Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Default ABS question

I just purchased an 02 Chevy 1500 extended cab with 144K miles. The ABS light stays on all the time. Brakes work OK (feel a little spongy to me) The previous owner was told he needed to replace some module below the dash, which he went to a junkyard (?????) and did, the light stayed on. He went to his Chevy dealer and they hooked it up to an analyzer and they told him that the module he bought was bad. Thats all I know.
When I got home I got my code reader out and it said there were no codes stored in memory.

Does anyone have a simple path that I might begin to follow to diagnose the issue. I feel comfortable around mechanics and can follow simple recommendations. I just don't want to take it into the Chevy dealer and have them take me to the cleaners.

Also, just recently the last owner replaced all the pads on all four wheels. I checked the LF and the pads look almost new.

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:02 AM

Not all code readers will read ABS codes. It is unlikely that you have the ABS light on but no codes stored. Maybe AutoZone will read them for you?

Gerald

Old 09-02-2011, 08:50 AM

I continued doing some checking and found that the left front ABS wheel sensor wire is bad (no continuity when checked with an VOM meter) I will get a new one and see where I go from there. I will also go by AutoZone and see if they have a code reader.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by alan7407
I continued doing some checking and found that the left front ABS wheel sensor wire is bad (no continuity when checked with an VOM meter) I will get a new one and see where I go from there. I will also go by AutoZone and see if they have a code reader.
Good job! There is a fair chance that is your problem.

ABS repairs can get into very big bucks. Unless the problem is simple and pretty obvious, it sometimes pays to buy a tester. The ABS brain went out on my Lesabre and the purchase of a tester paid for itself right on the spot! (Also, at that time A-Z did not read ABS codes, at least around here.)

Gerald

Old 09-03-2011, 10:07 AM

The L/F sensor was bad and I replaced it. The light went out and has not come back on. I think I found it !!! Oh, BTW, AutoZone does not have an ABS reader, and they won't check my other codes either. They say I need to buy one.

Now, I have a problem with my security system. When ever I set the alarm with the remote, the lights flash and the horn chirps once, like it should. When I hit the other button to unlock, the horn chirps twice. What gives. My Vette doesn't do that, and the manual doesn't say anything about the two chirps.