Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

ac question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 PM
TruckForum Addict
Default ac question

ok so about a month ago i recharged my ac with 50psi of freon as what the can sadi to charge to for 90 degree weather
anyway its been since then that my ac blows air but not cold air
i chevked under my dash for a cabin filter i couldnt seem to find one
anyway i asked a guy i worked with he said that i overcharged it
and freon expands thats how it works i dont realy think he understands ac systems
i know that without the proper amount it wont work right
anyway im lost as all get out i know my ac compressor is workin after consulting a mechanic at work
i dont think its over charged
it blows not warm but luke warm air
the heat works exceptional well
do any of you have a suggestions on what i should check
all the switches work and are gettting power
the blow motor kicks on the ac clutch works as it should

Old 07-31-2011, 05:04 PM

What year and model truck?

Old 07-31-2011, 05:32 PM
TruckForum Addict

94 silverado ext cab 5.7l v8

Old 07-31-2011, 06:03 PM
TruckForum Addict

Easiest thing is to take it to a shop and have them recharge it for you.

You said you put a can in it and charged it, did you use the can with stopleak/sealant in it? If so, the A/C mechanics will probably not want to work on your A/C. That sealant can kill their expensive A/C equipment.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:09 PM
TruckForum Addict

it did not have the sealant in it i personally dont use that stuff along iwth stop leak for radiators and tires it is bad news for others or yourself to work on later down the road

im gonna call around monday to some shops find the cheapest price on a system check and recharge the local mech in myhome town is no longer in our town he up and left in 2 days with no explination why

Old 07-31-2011, 06:13 PM
TruckForum Addict

hah weird ...

Oh well. It's an easy task for an A/C technician. Little room for error as long as he knows what he's going.

Good luck and hopefully you'll get a good deal. I have no idea what they charge for that, as I do all my own A/C work, but I can't imagine it'll be too expensive.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:23 AM

You said you added 50psi of freon? Or is that what your reading on the gauge set?
Average automotive systems require only 3-4 lbs. An over charged system is not good for a/c componets.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:34 AM

I was wondering that too, with most systems hovering around 3lbs. The key is being able to properly evacuate the system and pull the vaccuum it needs to help recharging the system.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:13 PM
TruckForum Addict

50 is what my guage read and the instructions on the can said to add 50psi for 90 degree heat and above
i think your all right with the over chargeing thing ill have to get the 3 gauge setup and check for sure what is in there cause teh guage i baught is a cheapo one from oriellys that you just quick disconect to the low side and then a valve to the can

Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 PM

You're talking 134 I bet. Did you do a retrofit conversion from r12? If so, it's pretty common that they don't get as cool, especially if you didn't use a machine on it.