Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

acetone and fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Default RE: acetone and fuel mileage

If your really bored and are still cautious
about dumping the red headed stepchild acetone
in your gas read this article and go buy yourself a can
for 10 bucks and save 1000 at the pump and the longevity
of your veicles engine

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

Old 05-17-2007, 05:16 PM
TruckForum Addict

Have you done it to your chevy yet. If so what was the result?

Old 09-27-2007, 07:27 PM

Does anyone have any new info on this subject?

Old 09-27-2007, 09:59 PM

I wonder if acetone would have a similar effect as either does on new diesel motors? My diesel tractor warns of using either to start it as it washes down the cylinder walls causing some undesireable friction! Hate for that to happen in a new truck motor. Maybe run it for awhile and send in a oil sample to see if it's affecting it at all. Let us know more of your results as it would be great to find a easy way to screw the big oil companies!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:02 PM

i would think the acetone would play hell on a fuel injection system, especially over time. Just the o-rings alone for the fuel injectors would have problems

Old 09-28-2007, 07:48 AM

Well in this case that fuel catalyst sounds like more of a safe bet. Im not willing to sacrifice my fuel system for fuel mileage. Do the math:

If acetone kills your fule system:
Fuel tubing $15+
Fuel Line $15+
Filter $10
Pump $120
Injectors (x8) $160+
All Gaskets and Misc $50 (a guess)
Labor $200 (estimate)
TOTAL: $570 +

Acetone savings over one year: @ 15,000 miles and $3 per gallon.
Mild use of acetone:
20mpg vs. 17mpg = $397 difference
Heavy use of acetone:
22mpg vs. 17mpg = $602 difference
Best case senerio for both:
25mpg vs.20mpg (highway) = $450 difference

Unless you repaired your own fuel system, the only way to make it pay off is to use a heavy dose of it at the risk of shortening the life of your fuel system. But chances of it failing in one year are slim I know, but once it starts to go you could have the reverse affect in mpg. I think the fuel catalyst preserved the engine and fuel system.

Fuel Catalyst:
$177 for inline system
Save 2mpg on average:
19mpg vs 17mpg = $279
Even if you only get 1mpg:
18mpg vs. 17mpg = $147 (only out $30)

Oh and the acetone prob cleans out the sytem, but prolonged use would have to deteriorate it, right? Maybe try it once and see what the resutls are in the next tank of gas?

Old 09-28-2007, 09:59 AM

I wonder what the effect would be if you swapped tanks. Run one with the acetone additive, then one without. This should prolong the life of fuel system and help to prevent too much errotion of parts due to being too clean. The acetone should also help to clean the valves and injectors, so basically you wouldn't have to use any fuel additives anymore= money savings. The only thing that I am really curious about is the octane effects. I wounder what the new octane rating would be with the new additive?

Old 09-28-2007, 10:06 AM

Im sure it would boost the octane rating but the ration would have to be almost perfect to get the most wihout killing the fuel system. Plus (what was said earlier about friction) a certain amount of fuel would be needed to lube the upper cylinderswalls and the fuel system components.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 AM

This is pretty interesting ...but I'd still be worried ...

If one was to try it, it might be prudent to use it on every other tank or something to that effect.

On a side note: On my previous fill up, I added an STP fuel additive (I will have to head back to the store to see which one it was) ...I noticed that on this fill-up, I'm getting better mileage ...I'm at 1/2 a tank and I'm on pace for 360 miles. I'm not driving any different ...I still punch it from time to time ...*shrug*

Hmmm ..just had a thought ...perhaps my sending unit is off ...damn. lol

Old 09-28-2007, 03:52 PM

I spoke with two of our senior researchers where I work (at a major US University ), and both of them said that adding acetone to gasoline should have no discernible effect on gas mileage and that most of the increase that a person sees is probably psychological (driving nicer because they know they put something in the tank to help with gas mileage).

Take it for what it's worth.

Quick Reply: acetone and fuel mileage