Truck Forums

Truck Forums (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/)
-   Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/)
-   -   Air Conditioner Cycle Switch (https://www.truckforums.com/forum/chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-forum-11/air-conditioner-cycle-switch-6852/)

sking2127 04-07-2008 02:10 PM

Air Conditioner Cycle Switch

The A/C Compressor does not stay engaged on my 2000 Z71, 5.3L, V8. When the compressor is running the A/C is Ice Cold, however it will eventually turn to blowing outside temperature air (which in Alabama in August is not pleasant). If I push the A/C button in the cab to turn the A/C off, wait a few moments and then turn it on again, the air again is ice cold. I've done this while the truck is idle and when I push the A/C button you can hear the compressor clutch engage. This led me to beleive that for some reason it's disengaging when it shouldn't be. A buddy that has a Tahoe suggested the switch on the side of the accumulator (A/C Cycle switch or high pressure cutoff switch?)is a relatively easy and cheap fix that may solve the problem.
Anyone have any experience with this and/or know what the switch is called?

Argon 04-07-2008 02:16 PM

RE: Air Conditioner Cycle Switch

its a cycling switch...or low pressure cut-off switch....pretty good bet thats the problem...COULD be a weak compressor clutch

jcbst12 04-07-2008 02:22 PM

Is it possible it could just be on the border line of being too low on R-134A to allow the compressor to stay on?

Argon 04-07-2008 02:50 PM

DOUBTFUL IF IT GETS ICE COLD WHEN ITS ON...its most likely the switch..but..as usual..she needs to be checked to know fer shore

sking2127 04-07-2008 02:54 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

goldenhammer 12-30-2009 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Argon (Post 31969)
DOUBTFUL IF IT GETS ICE COLD WHEN ITS ON...its most likely the switch..but..as usual..she needs to be checked to know fer shore

Would lack of refrigerant cause the compressor to NOT engage? I had similiar problem except no AC engagement at all. Replaced the AC cycling switch still nothing. But i can run a jumper directly from the battery to the AC compressor and it does engage.

goldenhammer 12-30-2009 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by sking2127 (Post 31964)
The A/C Compressor does not stay engaged on my 2000 Z71, 5.3L, V8. When the compressor is running the A/C is Ice Cold, however it will eventually turn to blowing outside temperature air (which in Alabama in August is not pleasant). If I push the A/C button in the cab to turn the A/C off, wait a few moments and then turn it on again, the air again is ice cold. I've done this while the truck is idle and when I push the A/C button you can hear the compressor clutch engage. This led me to beleive that for some reason it's disengaging when it shouldn't be. A buddy that has a Tahoe suggested the switch on the side of the accumulator (A/C Cycle switch or high pressure cutoff switch?)is a relatively easy and cheap fix that may solve the problem.
Anyone have any experience with this and/or know what the switch is called?

Did replacing the AC cycling switch solve the problem?