Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Air Conditioner Cycle Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Default Air Conditioner Cycle Switch

The A/C Compressor does not stay engaged on my 2000 Z71, 5.3L, V8. When the compressor is running the A/C is Ice Cold, however it will eventually turn to blowing outside temperature air (which in Alabama in August is not pleasant). If I push the A/C button in the cab to turn the A/C off, wait a few moments and then turn it on again, the air again is ice cold. I've done this while the truck is idle and when I push the A/C button you can hear the compressor clutch engage. This led me to beleive that for some reason it's disengaging when it shouldn't be. A buddy that has a Tahoe suggested the switch on the side of the accumulator (A/C Cycle switch or high pressure cutoff switch?)is a relatively easy and cheap fix that may solve the problem.
Anyone have any experience with this and/or know what the switch is called?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Default RE: Air Conditioner Cycle Switch

its a cycling switch...or low pressure cut-off switch....pretty good bet thats the problem...COULD be a weak compressor clutch

Old 04-07-2008, 02:22 PM

Is it possible it could just be on the border line of being too low on R-134A to allow the compressor to stay on?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:50 PM

DOUBTFUL IF IT GETS ICE COLD WHEN ITS ON...its most likely the switch..but..as usual..she needs to be checked to know fer shore

Old 04-07-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Argon
DOUBTFUL IF IT GETS ICE COLD WHEN ITS ON...its most likely the switch..but..as usual..she needs to be checked to know fer shore
Would lack of refrigerant cause the compressor to NOT engage? I had similiar problem except no AC engagement at all. Replaced the AC cycling switch still nothing. But i can run a jumper directly from the battery to the AC compressor and it does engage.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by sking2127
The A/C Compressor does not stay engaged on my 2000 Z71, 5.3L, V8. When the compressor is running the A/C is Ice Cold, however it will eventually turn to blowing outside temperature air (which in Alabama in August is not pleasant). If I push the A/C button in the cab to turn the A/C off, wait a few moments and then turn it on again, the air again is ice cold. I've done this while the truck is idle and when I push the A/C button you can hear the compressor clutch engage. This led me to beleive that for some reason it's disengaging when it shouldn't be. A buddy that has a Tahoe suggested the switch on the side of the accumulator (A/C Cycle switch or high pressure cutoff switch?)is a relatively easy and cheap fix that may solve the problem.
Anyone have any experience with this and/or know what the switch is called?
Did replacing the AC cycling switch solve the problem?