Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti ethanol gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:44 PM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

You CAN mix the 2 like up to 3/4 e85 and 1/4 gas I have done that a few times but the hassel really isnt worth it.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:49 PM
TruckForum Addict

How can you mix it when gasoline and alcohol seperate like water and oil? I mean I can see it mixing while going down the road since the fuel that is not burned is sent back to the tank through the return line, but when it sits up over night it seperates again.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:41 AM
General Truck/Classifieds Forum Moderator

Im not a chemist so I dont know how but I know it works (it was a little experiment I did) like I said its really not worth the hassel though I would not recommend doing it on anything that has alot of miles though either

Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by timber74wolf
How can you mix it when gasoline and alcohol seperate like water and oil?
E-85 is a mix of alcohol and gasoline. It's 85% denatured ethanol mixed with 15% gasoline. So, adding more gass will just change the ratio.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:00 AM

Changing the ratio is not the issue, even on E-85 vehicles, you won't have a perfect 15/85 mix in your tank unless that is all you have bought for a few tanks. The E-85 capable vehicles can run on any mix, they just have to be capable to put the needed amount of fuel through the injectors for the fuel ratio that is needed for E-85. So if you think about it, you could go and mix any amount of E-85 and regular and it won't hurt the motor at all, because it adjusts to the amount of fuel needed to keep the Air/Fuel mix where the computer says it needs to be.

Now the fella that is mixing the E-85 in his vehicle that is not capable, just remember, you can do it. But it is not recommended! I would only go to a 15% Ethanol ratio in my truck, mainly because they sell that blend as a mid grade fuel in colder climates. (Like ND) so the fuel has less water and less chance of it freezing because of the less water.
So in the end the guy who is mixing the fuel actually is probably getting a little better mileage and is getting a free fuel system cleaning from it. Plus it is higher octane! Might burn a bit more if you increase the ratio of ethanol though, that is if you want to really push your vehicle. Just be aware it is not recommended! Just be carful and make sure you don't get carried way with it cause you could burn your valves and pistons by going to high on ethanol. Plus you will starve your vehicle for fuel changing the A/F ratio.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by dmccartyfan
Guys correct me cuz I may be wrong - but isn't E85 designed for Flex-Fuel vehicles ONLY? Mr. Shamrock, is yours Flex-Fuel?
Yeah mine was a flex fuel truck. I say was cause I have since sold it. Maybe I needed to keep running it to get the ECM used to the ethanol. I haven't ran it since and the new Yukon I have is Flex Fuel as well. I'll stick with the other, plus the Sphinx that carries it is a little out of the way.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:32 PM

yeh, just need to run it for a bit for the computer to relearn what is going on, but you should get better performance from the stuff once your computer relearns all of the conditions. The immediate adjustments are for A/F stability, mainly just to keep it running. You have to also remember that the tranny is going to shift different with the two different fuels. One has more power and could be used. IMO!!