Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Any Effect?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Default Any Effect?

I've basically decided to buy a CAI. I'm thinking about making a sort of Ram air leading right to the CAI in the heat shield. Is running some black ducting from a front fog light to the CAI beneficial?

My thought process is that the ram would hopefully put even more cold air within reach of the CAI. Thoughts? Anyone tried it?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Yeah I did on my 2500HD and I couldn't tell a difference. Although it was a work truck that chugged around town all day with a big trailer behind it. Maybe out on the interstate might "Ram" more cold air up there. This was on a 6.0 motor. Let us know how yours comes out.
I conducted my own little seat of the pants experiment the other day. I had bought a Yukon 2500 6.0 at the auction and when I got it back I found it to have frame damage so I was able to return it. I had driven the truck quite a bit over the weekend to various body shops to have them check the damage and became quit aware of how it ran. When the auction gave me the thumbs up to return it I figured what a perfect time to see if I notice a difference in this truck with NO AIR FILTER and the top of the air box left off. You can't get any more free flowing than that. If it messed up something (which I am sure it didn't) it serves the owner right for trying to advertise a frame damaged truck as a clean one. Bottom line is I did not notice anything except a louder suction noise from under the hood. My theory is a good clean filter provides all the air our motors can use in stock form. Now maybe if the truck had mods (even just some free flowing mufflers) maybe and I repeat maybe there would have been a noticeable power gain. Just one dummies experiment and theory.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:45 AM
jvp

Absolutly, if you go fast enough it will act like a turbo charger.

But, what was the speed limit in your state again???

OK, Maybe not but it's fun to dream

CAI will do nothing for you except at WOT

jvp

Old 03-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

If the truck is customed tuned then you will notice a difference. But running it stock will not. Lower IAT's(intake air temps) will help keep timing from retarding and give good power, but this is from a tune.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:29 PM

Slowly turning over enough $ to put on CAI, exhaust and then have it tuned in that order. In all reality I guess it would be better to put on exhaust first but that was a little more costly.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:55 PM

On ebay they sell the Spectre set up for $60. I only used the intake tube. I use my factory box with cutouts on the side and bottom. The bottom I have a ram air tube coming from the bumper where the tow hook was. This way I can isolate all the heat from the motor.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:18 PM

Wait till you see my heat shield I am planning lol.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:05 PM

Yeah I had built one for my own and still wasn't as good as an enclosed air box. My gauge shows the intake air temp not changing much, but when I had a shield and cone filter, it was 20 degrees hotter.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:30 PM

Should I design it so that the MAF sensor is inside the heat shield or outside?

Old 03-19-2011, 04:16 PM

Putting it outside is an old trick for the F-body's. Truth is it needs a true reading so the fuel trim and timing is dead on. This will help prevent pre detonation which happens when hot air is entered through the intake. So I would keep it in wherever the intake tube is taking in air.