Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any welders out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Default Any welders out there?

I just got my MIG hooked up not even 30 minutes ago and ive been toying on a peice of scrap metal making beads that seems to penetrate all the way though..

But if anyone has some experience how would you suggest welding 2 pieces together? it seems to only melt away the metal and make the gap bigger and ive adjusted the wire speed multiple times with the same result

Old 07-09-2011, 08:18 PM
TruckForum Addict

Originally Posted by Wiked
I just got my MIG hooked up not even 30 minutes ago and ive been toying on a peice of scrap metal making beads that seems to penetrate all the way though..

But if anyone has some experience how would you suggest welding 2 pieces together? it seems to only melt away the metal and make the gap bigger and ive adjusted the wire speed multiple times with the same result
turn your wire speed down and your amprage down the welder should have a chart on it telling you what gauge wire and what settings to use on different guages of steel it should sound like a constant zapping sound not on and off or poping sound like a bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound if your at the right lenght away from the metal

and your welds should look like a roll of dimes you can google what a good weld looks like
i dont personaly own a welder but i have welded several times in the past in highschool and present im nto the best or the greatest but im ok
also make sure if your not running argon your using flux core wire without the flux core wire or argon there will be slag on the top of the weld that will need to be chiped off and or grinded off
also when yoru welding your tip shouldnt be on the steel it should be a little less then half an inch or maybe half an inch
also make sure you have a good ground
if you have to grind down a spot on the metal until its shiney
then when your done prime it so it wont rust
hope this helps

Old 07-09-2011, 08:38 PM

Thanks man im glad you know..

i got a whole kit for like 100 bucks i got a 2009 chicago steel welder with 3 spools of flux core which im running now 1 spool of stainless aluminum brass and galvanized along with a facemask and 10 feet of wire to plug it in and a bunch of tips and nozzle gel

i caught a deal..

im asking because im practicing before i attempt to weld my exhaust on my new truck when i get it

Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Like Cabpac says
Turn down the Amperage and turn down the wire speed.
Keep practicing......
-Don't touch the material with the tip. 1/2" to 3/4" away.
-Keep moving the tip. Don't stop or go too slow. Heat may accumulate then blow threw.
If it continues to blow threw??? You may want to try stitch welds.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:57 PM
TruckForum Addict

good deal man i wish i could get a good deal like that
anyway welding exsausht is gonna be kinda dificult due to how thin the metal is for that i would go with .035 flux core wire and keep the amps way low and wire speed way down
but deffinantly pracitce more it took me 8 years to get ok at welding
and i still make mistakes a little know and again
practice practice practice and you have to use aluminum wire to weld on aluminum if you use reg flux core it will make bead but will chip right off its actaully pretty neat

Old 07-09-2011, 09:03 PM

yeah im actually using 0.35 flux right now.

and i have a gauge for high temp them low temp and phase 1 and phase 2 and wire speed
its a simple machine but gets the job done.

Im going to ask my neighbor for help because she said she wanted to teach me (shes 5 foot 3 and she welds and drops cummins engines into trucks if thats not hot idk what is lol) but she knows how to make welds to where after a quick sanding you dont even see the weld..

Also what is stitch welding? is it basically dotting and overlapping them in a way?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:11 PM
TruckForum Addict

you are correct wiked
and thats bad a** that your neighbor does that
it is a good thing to learn from someone who can weld adn is very good at it they can show you things you wont learn by readign about
vertical welding laying on your back is very dificult also so is welding where you gotta lay on your stomach or side i think youll get the hang of it real quick
and i myself need to brush up on my welding skills
and try to get a good deal on a welder so ican fix my frame up right

Old 07-09-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by cubpak89
and try to get a good deal on a welder so ican fix my frame up right
where in iowa are you?

ill see if i can find anything

Old 07-10-2011, 12:53 AM
TruckForum Addict

im near des moines
and thanks

Old 07-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wiked

Also what is stitch welding? is it basically dotting and overlapping them in a way?
Yeah Stitch welding is when you do random spot welds on the seem to minimize heat build up. After you do a spot weld make your next spot weld somewhere else on the seem then come back and weld a spot next to your previous spot. Keep doing this until it is one continuous bead.

Getting free lessons from a professional is priceless. (A good looking one) is even better.

When my son was small I gave him some father son lessons. Now he is a licensed welder and is giving me tips and suggestions The help is invaluable

Quick Reply: Any welders out there?