Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone familiar with Magnaflow exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Default Is anyone familiar with Magnaflow exhaust?

I'm curious if anyone is familiar with Magnaflow. It seems a lot of folks here are Flowmaster fans. I'm trying to put a system together from the headers back. I don't want to move my spare tire, but I would like a true dual exhaust. I've looked at a dual catalytic component from Magnaflow, because it promises higher flow. From the catalytic converter system back I was also looking at a Magnaflow cat back system with dual mufflers. The Magnaflow uses mandrel bends and 2.5" diameter pipe throughout the whole setup from the headers back. I'm trying to increase the power, but I'm not necessarily interested in making it loud. I'm more concerned with performance. I'm trying to increase performance when I stomp on it, but preserve my gas mileage when I'm not. I have a K&N FIPK installed and I am going to install a Transdapt TBS on Smoke20's advice. I'm going to switch out the MAS after I get my exhaust straight, and then get a programmer and performance module after that. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Default RE: Is anyone familiar with Magnaflow exhaust?

You do not want true dual as I have it and ther is no low end power. You want single in dual out. Also you want a custom tune instead of a programmer, gains will be much greater. As far as the MAF sensor, just descreen the one you have adn save the money. These have been the best for gains that I have seen.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:24 PM

I have to agree with smoke20. I have true duals on my 91' and forget towing anything, but it flys. I bought a Hypertech programmer for my 99'. It works for me cause I get better gas milage in a very hilly area and I tow. (You can adjust your own shift points on the hypertech) but I'm not sure it would be worth $300 if you get better performance from a $400 tune. Smoke20, hows your gas milage on that tune anyway?

Old 07-30-2007, 03:48 PM

i agree. i have true duals on my 87 and ive done everything i can to my engine without putting on a carb, and my low end sucks. my truck is older so there are no programmers, but i have a custom chip from Turbo City (turbocity.com) and it was only $280.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:47 PM

Thanks everyone. I installed a Transdapt Torque Curve TBS after taking smoke20's advice. He was dead on about no whistle. If it contributes any noise whatsover, I can't hear it over my K&N CAI. I haven't checked the effect on the mileage yet. The interesting thing is that prior to install, I crusied the Interstate at 70mph at 2000rpms consistently. Now when cruising at the 70mph, I'm only running 1800rpms. Overall, I'm finding that I am running lower rpms per given speed. I'm going to take everyone's advice and install a single in dual out exhaust. I definitely don't want to lose my low end living in the mountains. I'm going to take the money savings on the exhaust I had budgeted and upgrade my planned headers to ceramic coated Stan's Headers Tri-y's unless someone knows any draw backs to that. Thanks again.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:33 PM
TruckForum Addict

Sounds like a plan. Wish I could afford headers and a tune!

Old 08-08-2007, 05:48 PM

Has anyone done the headers after their exhaust? Grey ghost you may want to wait for a reply to that question, since the single in dual out exhaust may keep more lowend than with headers. I did my headers first. I just want to see what the difference is doing it the opposite way than I did.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:00 PM

Okay thanks, I'm going to have to put in more overtime to afford the headers anyway. They run about $750.00. The tri-y's are supposed to give great performance on the low to middle end. I'll look back into which exhaust I want to get. As I've said, I'm more interested in performance than an overly aggressive sound. I've even considered installing a resonator between the muffler and the tip to quiet it down some. I like the idea of a sleeper. What they don't know will dust 'em.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:24 PM
TruckForum Addict

I agree sleepers rock. But I also like being rediculously blatant about it too! LOL!

Old 08-08-2007, 09:37 PM

I always remember a story my Dad always told about Paul Newman. Supposedly at one time, he dropped a Porsche engine in a VW Bug. He'd pull up to the stop light next to somebody in a beefy car, and challenge them to a race. Of course, the mark would be laughing up until he was watching the Bug disappear in front of him. I can't stand rice burner tuners. I'm want to build a sleeper that will embarass the hell out of them. LOL

Quick Reply: Is anyone familiar with Magnaflow exhaust?