Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Auto 4WD???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Default Auto 4WD???

What is the "AUTO" setting on the electronic 4WD selector for?

Old 02-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Default RE: Auto 4WD???

When in auto, the rear wheels drive like normal, but there aresensors that sense wheel slip. When the rear wheels start to slip it automatically engages four wheel drive. I don't ever use it. In my opinion, if I want 4x4 I put it in 4x4.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 AM

I used it in the snow once. It seemed to be in full-time 4wd the entire time.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:42 AM

What do you mean it seemed to be in 4wd the entire time....? How could you tell? It engages the 4wd fast enought that you never feel the rear slip. The purpose of it is so you don't bind the front end up if you make a turn somewhere thats not slippery.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:44 PM

I mean it seemed, and perhaps I imagined it, to be putting extra load on the truck. It felt like it would sort ofgear down a little when I let off the gas. I also thought I could feel a little more vibration from the transfer case.

Can you use the AUTO setting at highway speeds (60-70mph) like a AWD?

Old 02-05-2009, 10:59 PM

ORIGINAL: restridge
Yes

I mean it seemed, and perhaps I imagined it, to be putting extra load on the truck. It felt like it would sort ofgear down a little when I let off the gas. I also thought I could feel a little more vibration from the transfer case.
In Auto4WD, the front axle is engaged, but power is sent to the rear wheels normally. When a loss of traction is sensed, power is sent to all four wheels.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: ghlkal

Yes

In Auto4WD, the front axle is engaged, but power is sent to the rear wheels normally. When a loss of traction is sensed, power is sent to all four wheels.
Thanks.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:42 AM

You know what? Auto 4WD makes it simple for us simple folks! The responses I have seen describe to a tee what auto 4WD does. Let's put it in layman's terms. If you have less than 4 inches of snow and partially slippery roads then Auto 4wd works fine! If you are lucky enough to get more than 4 inches of snow then stick with 4WD Hi. If you get more than a foot of snow you might want to understand what 4low is but the only time I've used 4low is mud and when I need power. There are many members of the forum who understand and can explain in laymen's terms when and where is best to use 4WD low.

If you don't have an owner's manual I suggest you get one. It can't be anymore simple than what the manufacturer is telling us! The reading is meant for dummies!
4" is the key though to good use of auto versus 4wd high.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: ecutts
You know what? Auto 4WD makes it simple for us simple folks!
Well said Eric.

I'll also add that as you move "down" from 2WD, to Auto4WD, to 4HI, to 4LO, you're decreasing gas mileage and putting a little more strain on the drivetrain. So, use the "highest" you can (no need to run in Auto on clear pavement, for example)

Old 02-10-2009, 08:23 PM

In auto4wd I feel a clunk when the transfer case locks up.

Quick Reply: Auto 4WD???