Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Backup camera System for a 2006 Silverado Crew Cab

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Beginner
Default Backup camera System for a 2006 Silverado Crew Cab

I'd like to mount a night vision backup camera (I think they call this a keyhole camera) in the plastic spoiler on the tailgate of my 06 Silverado Crew Cab and get a small 2.5" or 3.5" monitor to help me when I back up. Don't want to spend a fortune. Hardwired is fine if wireless is more expensive or subject to interference.

I have several cubbies in the dash of my 06 that I could mount the monitor in. Ideally I'd like the image to reverse when engaged so that if an obstacle was on the left side of the monitor as i looked at it that it would mean the obstacle was on the left side of the truck.

Has anyone had any experience mounting one up here? I'm not sure the license mount cams will show enough. I don't pull a trailer so don't need it for that purpose. i just want to feel safer when I back up in a parking lot or similar situation.

If anyone has a good system and the mfr. name I'd sure appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Mike in AL

Old 08-26-2011, 07:31 AM
Default info

There are many types of rearview camera systems that include a 3" -5" monitor already, both wired and wireless. Most have the reverse image feature so finding one with that, shouldnt be a problem.

I actually have one installed on my tahoe, i can tell you where is got it, but cant post the link here, dont want to be labled a promoter.

PM if your interested, GL

Old 08-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Yeah backup cameras are super easy to hookup. You just need to pick the size of the field of view you want from it.

On a sidenote you can get the in dash touch screen cd players that you can hook a back up camera too. Then when wired to the column switch as soon as you put it in R the displays automatically shows the camera. Of course the head units also have an aray of other features too.