Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Bad Radio or Bad Blower Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Default Bad Radio or Bad Blower Control

My 2003 6.0 Silverado has a problem and it has occured twice. I get in start the truck, turn on the stereo and no sound. No audio output at all. Display functions work fine, but no sound. A day or two later, I get in try to start the truck, radio plays but truck won't start. Battery dead, registers less than 6 volts on the meter.

Dealership says it's a shorted resistor in the blower control circuit. Replaced under warranty. Problem solved. One year later while on vacation out of state, radio stops playing, go to local Chevy dealer tell service mgr. about problem. He looks at me like I may be the one with the problem not the truck.

I advise him to check my VIN in the system and order in the same part. He does next day truck won't start, but radio plays. How he's confused as well. Part installed problem fixed. (for now)

I can understanding a resistor shorting and causing a drain on the battery, but why would it involve the radio?

Someone PLEASE HELP ME before I do something desperate like trade it in on a FORD!

Old 12-06-2006, 04:12 AM
Default RE: Bad Radio or Bad Blower Control

I had a saimilar issue and fixed it will and upgrade to 160 amp Alternator. If your running amps <- expect not only the radio drain but the chance that the installer has a direct + feed to radio which may not turn off amps when you turn off key. It may need to be checked out by you radio shop first and see id it was done righ
JMHO\
Greek

Old 12-07-2006, 01:05 AM

Don't think we're on the same page. The radio is the OEM BOSE system from GM. Went almost two years without a problem. Then after the first event, went more than a year before it happened again. but when the blower motor risistor GM part number 89018597 was replaced again, problem solved.....

Old 12-07-2006, 02:02 AM

Your right but hey, problem solved. I go to extremes like even with my sounds. I run a second battery as well, plus a backup for my 2 alarm systems. I ordered every upgrade in my 00/Z71 except the radio. I deal'D to have it removed at the dlrshp when it arrived, saved some $$$. I saw you asking for answers. Only one I had was related to my excessive use, of juice. You'll figure it out, no doubt.
GL
Greek

Old 01-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Beginner

I seem to have the exact problem. How sure are you about this resitor? THey are about $60 and I have one in wil call, but wanted to check with you. Had the same dead battery issues, but now no radio sound for months, but no dead battery either.

Regards, Imtoolamn

Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Beginner
Default No Radio Sound - 2004 GMC Denali

I seem to have the exact same problem with my radio. I took the advice here but the new blower control has been redesigned and has a different wiring harness. Looks like I can make it work, but I will be using the original 3 wire harness and putting it on a 7 wire connector. I assume you use the 3 center terminals as that is what matches up with the snap in lock on the connector. The only problem is the old female portion of the connector has a molded on key so you can't put it in backwards. I thought about cutting it off and forcing it into the new blower control. Anyone out their have any suggestions?