Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Bed Length

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Default Bed Length

We signed papers on our new Silverado Friday. Loved the Colorado we traded in but it wouldn't comfortably pull our new travel trailer long distance or over mountains.

I guess this question might put me in the dumb box but I need to know just what the bed size is before I order a tonneau cover. I searched the materials that came with it and can't find anything printed. Yes, I did the obvious and measured and it's 6'7" from the inside front to inside the tailgate. The obvious answer is that I have a 6.5 as opposed to a 5.8 but . . . I have seen some real weird measuring specifications in my half century + life. I doubt it is in the VIN but sure it's in the RPO's but don't know just which one.

I had an Extang generic soft tonneau on the Colorado and loved it. I'd be glad to read any suggestions on the same type in the $200 range if you have any. That's the price for the "Tuff Tonneau" they have now.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:26 AM
Default RE: Bed Length

When I got my bed rail protectors, they were given in measurements of 78" for the shortbed and 96" for the long bed. Not sure if this is the 'standard' length for things associated with the bed or not.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:40 AM

Check with the dealer that you bought it from, they may be able to tell you how to measure or maybe hook you up with a dealer tonneau so that you know it is right.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: gpet6669
Check with the dealer that you bought it from . . .
Yeah, just did that waiting on a call from someone who understands the question.

Overall I like the dealership, this is the second vehicle we have purchased from them but, this is the same dealership that told us we didn't need a trans cooler to tow (even though it is installed in the factory towing package) and that there is no break in required. They answered yes when I specifically asked if it would be within warranty if I drove the truck home, hooked up my 4,000 lb. travel trailer and took off on a cross country trip. The owners manual said the usual stuff for the first 500 miles and no towing. Towing can begin after that but no more than 50 MPH for the next 500 miles while towing. I'm not sure just who to beleive.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:39 AM

Id have to say that slaesman hasnt done his research and is wingin the tough questions

Old 08-13-2007, 11:46 AM

well, some old-school salesmen swear that if you're going to be rough on a vehicle, you should do it as soon as you leave the lot...

i dont know why.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:06 AM

Ordered and received the tonneau for the 6.5 bed. It fits well but I don't like some of the gaps it left between the top of the bed and the rails. I'll stuff them with something to keep thingsa little dryer.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:52 AM

What kind of tonneau did you get? I thought they were engineered better than that.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:59 AM

I was really happy with the Extang Sabre I had on my Colorado so I ordered the Tuff Tonneau from the same folks. I think they had to do some reengineering to accomodate the flat spoiler Chevy added to the Silverado. The tailgate topper adds about 3/16" height where it sets so you have to apply some additional foam tape to the rear end of the side rails to lift the end rail to clear it. Since the topper doesn't extend the entire width of the tailgate there is a gap about 1/8" x 1" wideat each end. I think Chevy threw the tonneau manufacturers for a loop with this.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 AM

That sucks that it doesn't fit right, I would be pissed!

Quick Reply: Bed Length