Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Beefing up truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Beginner
Default Beefing up truck

OK, In the intro section i described that i recently picked up my Dad's old 82 Silverado. Number one priority is getting her back on the road safely. Here are a few of the things at the top of the list I can remember being wrong:

1. Tranny has a loud thumping/knocking noise from Torque converter area. May just need a new TQ Converter, but what do you guys suggest? Tranny rebuild/replace? I want this truck to move pretty good and be able to tow, so what are my options on Performance TQ Converters/rtrannys? I plan to get a shift kit so any suggestions there?

2. Engine. I got it runing pretty good when I was home a few years ago and I don't think it will take much to get her running again. ti has the stock v8 350ci in it. I know there is a small gas leak near the carb, thats easy day repair. But I have big plans of making her faster and more efficient. Suggestions? I can go all out here. High Rise intake with big carb...whole nine yards. Please help!

3. Plan to replace the brake system. May go to disc allt he way around. Suggestions? Kits? Doner Veichles?

I will be doing all the work myself and have access to junk yards to pull parts.

Thanks fellas!

Josh

Old 02-20-2012, 11:16 PM
TruckForum Addict

Well the thumping/knocking is probably from a busted flexplate/flywheel. Just pull the cover and take a look.

Breaks, I'd go to a junk yard and look at more modern steering knuckles that accept disc breaks.