Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Belt squeeking problem 05 silverado 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Beginner
Default Belt squeeking problem 05 silverado 5.3

All of a sudden my drive belt started squeeking. SO i replaced it. 1k miles or so it started again. I replaced it figured it was a problem with the belt being it was only 3 weeks old. Well parts store took it back under warranty. Well it starting again. I now have been driving with it like this for about 5k miles. Does it for about 15 min and then goes away 90%. I have just been living with it. Within this i changed out my altenator being as it had 100k miles on it. That didnt fix it. I changed my idler pulley, that didnt help.
Its definatly the belt as if i put a drop of water on the belt while its running it goes away immediatly but then comes back when the water dries up. The 1st time it did this i put belt dressing on the belt which is for this exact thing and it didnt work.
Anyone have any other suggestions. This is real annoying.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:36 PM
TruckForum Addict

I'd say replace the belt again with a higher quality one. Another possibility is that you have a liquid leaking onto the belt causing the squeak. Be it the PS pump, or the water pump. You could also have a miss-aligned pulley. Otherwise, it's just a cheap belt or a worn out tensioner.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Beginner

I replaced the tensioner already. I dont see anything leaking. It does this for about 15 min and then goes away. I can start the truck and its doing it. I can splash a drop of water on the belt and it goes away immidiatly which tells me its the belt. The 1st and second replacement belt with one from napa auto parts. The 3rd belt is from advanced auto. Both places only carry 1 belt for my truck. Everything looks perfectly aligned. Even when i pull the belt to inspect it looks good. Doesnt look like its tracking off and fraying.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:07 PM
TruckForum Addict

Does it sound like the belt is slipping on a seized pulley? Try turning on the A/C compressor as soon as you start the truck and see if the sound changes.

You can also pull the belt and reach down there and feel each pulley. Make sure they feel smooth and move freely, none of them should be hard to turn except for the crankshaft pulley. The PS pump should be easy and smooth, the water pump should be easy and smooth, idler, tensioner etc. Just feel each pulley with the belt off.

Looks like your truck might have a different belt for the AC than the regular serpentine belt. Start up the truck and while it's squeaking turn on your A/C and listen for a change. There's a Napa part NBH 25040378 for an AC belt, and NBH 25060930 for the serpentine belt. I'd go visit the parts guy again ... Looks like you could have two belts.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Chevrolet/GMC, Racing, Recreational Forum Moderator

Did you replace the A/C belt as well?

Old 06-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Beginner

I do have 2 belts. 1 for the main drive and 1 for the ac. I have pulled the ac belt to see if thats the problem and it still did it. As i mentioned i dripped a drop of water onto the belt , main drive belt, and the squeeking goes away immediatly and then comes back in a few seconds so i know its the belt that is squeeking. I just dont know why from new to 1k or so miles its fine. THen after that it starts. Belt is in great shape just sqeeks.
A few months ago i did a stupid thing. I put a piece of sandpaper on the water pump pulley to clean it up while it was running. My hand got caught between the belt and the pulley and went for a ride. Immediatly drove right to the emergency room with my 3 fingers twisted and my ring finger bleeding. Turned out i tore my ring fingers tendon and severly brused my pointer and middle finger. Its been 3 months and still not 100%. I wont do that again
So since it keeps taunting me to do something i figure i would seek advise here.

Attached Thumbnails Belt squeeking problem 05 silverado 5.3-0222121329b.jpg  
Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 AM
TruckForum Addict

Here's what I would do ... plus considering that there could potentially be "debris" in the grooves of the pulleys, take a fresh can of brake cleaner and spray each pulley while it's running. Don't soak the belt in it, but get at the right angle to spray the ribs of the pulley its self.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Beginner

My sister had a jeep that had this problem. I replaced the belt twice, still squealed.

The problem turned out to be the harmonic balancer. The pully turned loose from the mounting plate/hub.

You can check this with a timing light, just check it and notice the mark(s) and drive it a short distance and check it again, if the marks have changed the bond has turned loose in the balancer.

A new balancer corrected the squeal.

Good luck.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Beginner

Originally Posted by skeeter5
My sister had a jeep that had this problem. I replaced the belt twice, still squealed.

The problem turned out to be the harmonic balancer. The pully turned loose from the mounting plate/hub.

You can check this with a timing light, just check it and notice the mark(s) and drive it a short distance and check it again, if the marks have changed the bond has turned loose in the balancer.

A new balancer corrected the squeal.

Good luck.

I will check on that. But my thing is if i drip water on the belt it goes away. This makes me think it cant be the balancer. When this was happening with your sister did the squeek or squeeling go away after about 10-15 min of driving? Mine goes away. I figure the belt warms up.