Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Bent My Frame , Should I Fix or Sell ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Beginner
Default Bent My Frame , Should I Fix or Sell ???

Well I Hydroplaned My 98 Z71 Ext Cab 3 Door 5.7 Vortec into A Big Ditch , Did Some Pretty Good Damage , Here Are Some Pics ,

Name:  DSCF6174.jpg
Views: 8340
Size:  122.5 KB
Name:  DSCF6175.jpg
Views: 8423
Size:  127.4 KB
Name:  DSCF6177.jpg
Views: 4982
Size:  120.1 KB

, Well Let Me Know what You think , Has 203K original miles , Only Replaced The Fuel Pump in 07 , And That's it , Drove it from 166k miles until i wrecked it , Not sure How i Would Fix it , Cut The Frame And Try and straighten it out , Not Willing To pay a frame Shop To do So unless i hit The Lottery haha , Well Looking Forward To What other people think

Old 05-08-2012, 07:31 PM
TruckForum Addict

Yikes that's no good ... part it out and buy a new truck.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:03 PM
TruckForum Addict

i would have to agree with nullhead on this one part it out and get a new truck
from experiance i had a whole in my frame from rust went to just about every auto body shop in town and around this state they told me to fix it on that year of truck it wouldnt be worth the cost of the vehical i also had a bent frame slightly i ended up sellin the truck after welding the holes and undercoating the frame
most insurance companies would toatal out the truck if you reported the bent frame and red flag the title as salvage so best idea would be part out or find another truck of the same year that is cheap or needs work and take everything off the truck with the bent frame and put it into it then take her to the bone yard and get ur moneys worth out of it
just my opinion

Old 05-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Beginner

Well my insurance company would not Cover a Hydroplane , and they dropped me after i tried to claim it , they said if i would've claimed i swerved to miss a deer they would have fixed it , being that its only $2400 in damage total , the frame was only pushed straight up , its not bent at a bad angle , its only an inch off maybe , If I had the tools i would cut the frame lower it -re weld some braces and then sell it for more than I'm asking now which is $2000 , Kbb on my truck with its current mileage is $4500 !

Worth $4500 in Fair shape , the lowest kbb goes , people should read what (fair) shape means !!

Old 05-21-2012, 02:40 AM
Beginner

Well it's for sale or trade on Craigslist , Really would like to find a used frame and just swap all my stuff to it , I know its allot of work , but it wouldn't cost me that much , just allot of time and effort !

Old 07-13-2012, 09:35 PM
TruckForum Addict

well it would be very timeconsuming and that sucks that ur insurance didnt cover it we had a guy this winter loose control on black ice hit s gusrd rail with a trailor and a plow on the 08 f250 we got and ruined the entire driverside front and back door it was a crew cab the insurance picked that up
but it would be easier to just buy another truck that was what i ended up doing i spent alot of time and money fixing my truck the 94 that had frame rot and damage and half way thru i eneded up selling the thing

Old 07-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Default Straight Frame

I have had good luck pulling frames straight from light glancing blows, but once bent it is never perfect. Still in the Redneck Workshop, frames bend and rebend easier than you guessed. Try driving up on an I-Beam and then pull towards it.

I have seen Chev 4x4 frames for as little as $100. Never buy one that had a fire as there could be temper issues. Swapping over body parts is actually pretty easy on pickups, and you can take advantage of having it apart to do maintainance you can't normally do, like painting or undercoating all hidden spots. Take the box off as a unit, and the cab and nose as a single unit. They don't weigh all that much and can be jacked and blocked while you roll the old drivetrain out and the new one back in. If you have to keep your engine, you will find doing an engine swap on an open frame a refreshing change.

It can be fixed, but will never be perfect. If all you need is a hunting rig, it will be just fine!

Old 07-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Administrator

I hate the fact you pay pay pay insurance then they call the shots after an accident.
I would have MADE them pay to fix my truck. That's why I was paying them to insure my truck. If not? They need to show me IN WRITING my truck wasn't covered in a hydro-plain accident.
I think they were changing the rules in the middle of the game.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:25 AM
Beginner

Well The Truck Has been Sitting , Anybody In GA Needing a Running gear , Here it is ! . I Will Take $1500 Cash for the truck How it is , If you want the truck with clear title its $1500 or nothing .

Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 AM

Where in Ga.

Quick Reply: Bent My Frame , Should I Fix or Sell ???