Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Best Stepbars

Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 AM
PJr
Default Best Stepbars

I just purchased a 2010 Silverado LTZ Crewcab.

I am considering putting nerf/step bars on.
I had some Westin stainless on my 2000 Z71.

I would like to hear some pros and cons on the different manufacturers and bar types that are out today.

My truck is dark gray /taupe with 20" chrome wheels.
Opinions on whether to go chrome, stainless or black?

Thank for any input.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Toyota, Nissan, and Other Truck Forum Moderator

I say black. Too much chrome on a truck looks desperate for attention, IMO.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:36 AM

This is another case of personal opinion and what you like since it is your truck! Personally, I would consider nothing but chrome! My 2010 Red Silverado came with black step bars and the minute I drove it off the lot, I went straight to my favorite truck equipment place and swapped them for chrome Aries step bars. I have since added over $2000 in chrome to it. I bought the WT version since I had two toys already and wanted something I could drive in the rain. The truck was too plain, no personality...I could not stand it. Now it has personality and a lot more eye appeal. Of course, eye appeal to me, may be "gawd awful ugly" to the previous poster, therefore you have to go with what your heart and mind tells you.

So now you see what I mean, you have to do what you think looks best. Another 50 postings to this thread would probably not help a bit because they would be pretty close to 50/50. It is pretty much a "love hate thing." Either you love chrome and hate black or you love black and hate chrome...there is very little middle road.

My other two cars, 03 Corvette and 06 Hummer H3 has several thousand dollars worth of chrome on each. I love chrome, especially good quality chrome. I am 64, retired, white, and looking for more chrome for my Silverado. Good luck with your decision and enjoy your Silverado, afterall it is a CHEVROLET regardless of what you do to it after you purchase it.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by corvetteOJ
This is another case of personal opinion and what you like since it is your truck! Personally, I would consider nothing but chrome! My 2010 Red Silverado came with black step bars and the minute I drove it off the lot, I went straight to my favorite truck equipment place and swapped them for chrome Aries step bars. I have since added over $2000 in chrome to it. I bought the WT version since I had two toys already and wanted something I could drive in the rain. The truck was too plain, no personality...I could not stand it. Now it has personality and a lot more eye appeal. Of course, eye appeal to me, may be "gawd awful ugly" to the previous poster, therefore you have to go with what your heart and mind tells you.

So now you see what I mean, you have to do what you think looks best. Another 50 postings to this thread would probably not help a bit because they would be pretty close to 50/50. It is pretty much a "love hate thing." Either you love chrome and hate black or you love black and hate chrome...there is very little middle road.

My other two cars, 03 Corvette and 06 Hummer H3 has several thousand dollars worth of chrome on each. I love chrome, especially good quality chrome. I am 64, retired, white, and looking for more chrome for my Silverado. Good luck with your decision and enjoy your Silverado, afterall it is a CHEVROLET regardless of what you do to it after you purchase it.
Uh guy, he asked for OPINIONS of his list of suggestions, not opinions of what of others think. I didnt say chrome was "gawd awful ugly" nor did I assume as did you sir. I said too much to me, is DESPERATE for attention, like a female who uses too much make-up! I like a clean flow combonation. You like a lot of chrome, nobody here is speakin down on that. You wanna go spend thousands of dollars on chrome for 1 vehicle, lol, respectfully thats your prerogative.

Last edited by RUFFNECK4LYFE; 06-11-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Default Westin step bars

Can't say if they are the "best" but I have Westin Platinums on my '05 2500HD Crew in polished chrome with black steps. Were on there when we got it. I know they were put on when the truck was new (got the truck from family). They seem to be holding up very well and are quite solid... I'm a pretty big guy (280 lbs.) and they don't flex or bend when I step on and the step areas are pretty non-slip too. The chrome dresses up what is otherwise a kinda dull truck. Black just wouldn't get it, to each his own.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:17 PM

Yeah the Westins I had held up really good too. Im 6'6" 315lbs and they held me wit no problems.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:57 PM

I would go with Chrome IMO black would not look good.