Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Big Jim's first snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Smile Big Jim's first snow

Haven't been on in a while. Hope everybody who got winter weather has gotten through it OK. We got a comparatively mild 9 inches here in the Appalachian mountains of Virginia, but it was my first snow with my GMC Sierra. I've reinforced one belief and settled on another.

First, there is a difference between 4-wheel drive and all-wheel drive. I've always felt this, and being in snowy places a couple times over the weekend with people with AWD crossovers only confirms it. 4WD is simply better, end of debate. My favorite stunt occurred on my mother-in law's 26% grade driveway. I had the truck parked on the hill at the bottom. We were getting ready to leave, and I told my wife "I'm going to try something". I put the truck in 4 low, put it in drive, and started up the 5" of snow covered slope from a dead stop. Don't try that in your "just as good" crossover folks!

Second, as some of you know, I stressed over what tires to buy. A/T's are more expensive and I don't need them 99% of the time, H/T's last longer and are cheaper. Just before New Years, I finally settled on a good deal on a set of Nexen Roadian A/T's from tirebuyer.com. I have determined that the 1% is the walking home %. I'd rather spend a bit more at purchase and get a set of tires I know are going to handle any road condition! These tires have performed beautifully in the snow and I have never felt like I couldn't get where I was going. If A/T tires are available for your truck, you buy the A/T tires!

One of the reasons for buying a 4x4 truck was snow. In the past, I had a job that did not require me to report to work in snow, my current job does. Having it now, I cannot see myself ever not owning a 4x4 truck. Between going to work and looking after my mother-in-law this last week, Big Jim has been a Godsend.

Last edited by GMC_Chris; 01-27-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:32 PM
TruckForum Addict

I'm glad you're enjoying your GMC!

I completely agree on the A/T tires thing. Also completely agree about the 4x4 thing. I used to have a 2wd truck and let me tell you. It's a really bad feeling setting in a big beefy truck that's capable of going anywhere .... until you get stuck. And get passed by 4x4 trucks. And basically get confused looks as to why a truck got stuck in the first place ....

Basically what I'm saying is that 2wd trucks are basically useless. I don't get it. Not safe to launch a boat with, difficult to take through snow without making provisions for extra weight in the bed, and the MPG benefit from a lighter weight and less moving mass is negligible. I've had two 4x4 trucks now and I'll never go back.

I really do love my 04 Z71 though

Old 01-31-2016, 10:21 AM

I would consider 2wd if I were buying a runabout to drive back and forth to work. I could see a standard cab possibly 6 cylinder Sierra or Silverado filling that role nicely, but not without my 4x4 sitting in the driveway for when I need a real truck.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Administrator

I will never own another 2wd truck as a personal vehicle for two reasons: 1. They aren't capable of going anywhere. 2. They are IMPOSSIBLE to sell in the midwest

As far as tires go, I agree 100%. I'm usually extremely money conscious, but there are four items I won't skimp on: Tires, brakes, headlights, and Wiper blades.

Your tires are all that's between you and the road, your brakes are all that's between you and the car in front of you. Your lights are all that are between you and a deer/pedestrian, and your wipers are all that's between you and the world.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:15 PM

Like I said, I would only consider it as a basic commuter with a real truck at home for when I need it ! I've not bought into the love affair with V-6's either. I had a C1500 with the 4.3. It was a solid little engine, but it was a little engine. I know you can make all kinds of arguments for new trannies and new engine tech, but I used to say "There's no substitute for cubic inches." and I still feel that way today. Given the choice, I want a V-8!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:10 PM
TruckForum Addict

I think what you're trying to say is, there's no replacement for displacement! Good old American V8 muscle

Old 02-10-2016, 09:54 PM

Exactly!