Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Bit the Bullet

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Default Bit the Bullet

Alright, so im tired of driving the POS saturn while $500 a month sits in my driveway getting stomped by HEMI's and titans. I called Nelson Performance and ordered a dual tune setup with 87/89 octane, 75% TM reduction,shift firmness increased during normal driving and WOT (not sure how much though)and everything else stock.

hopefully will be in sometime next week, hopefully, hopefully, hopefully.

i will let yall know how it is when i get it in. hopefully the pcm wont be a pain to put in.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Default RE: Bit the Bullet

Oh man your going to be sooooooo happy you did! Its been raining all week. I think I need a POSI now because every time I got on the pedal (even the slightest bit) she one legs it in the rain. Oh but its fun! TQM reduction is the best thing to do to these trucks. (Just don't tromp on it all the time).

Old 06-30-2008, 06:56 PM

how does the TM work? so I am assuming if you have a redution, you will be spinning more when it rains?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:07 PM

TM bascially is the cheap way around for GM to not build a stout 1/2 transmission (in my opinion of course) but it limits the amount of power to the wheels to keep you from line locking it and doing burnouts, and gives a lot of hesitation when you stomp the gas. it does more than that and someone here will be able to better explain it. but basically its BS.
it keeps HEMI's, Titans, and Ford's ahead of you[:@]

anyways i have the factory locking rear diff. (g80) so i never quite understood what it does. is it limited slip? i mean if im in the snow, sand, wet grass and stomp it does both rear wheels get power?

yea i didnt want to spend the money on the tune but i needed something to justify still owning the truck sincei barely drive it anymore. couldnt justify getting the 93 tune for only 10-15hp more. not with prices the way they are. just hope i pop this thing in and its a whole new truck. if not im gonna be pissed. im not expecting earth/nitrous shattering results but something better than the hypertech.

anyways, have a good one.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:40 PM
TruckForum Addict

Everyone who has been on here in the past that has gotten a custom tune has been really impressed best I can tell. I've been wanting to do it to mine but I keep letting other crap get in the way.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:04 PM

ORIGINAL: bad2006z71

anyways i have the factory locking rear diff. (g80) so i never quite understood what it does. is it limited slip? i mean if im in the snow, sand, wet grass and stomp it does both rear wheels get power?

The wheel with least traction will spin for a fraction of a second and then the other will lock in. you may feel it but its so smooth you probably wont know it.

It also really hampers with burnouts, as soon as that other tire catches, you're off. lol

Old 07-01-2008, 07:58 AM

I know, thats why I want one!!! My buddy has an extreme with a locking diff and a 4.3. Man that thing can handle! If he would reduce TQM on that thing it would be a rocket.

Reducing TQM is the best thing you can do for power. Even though you aren't getting any more max hp and torque, you are getting them both a hell of a lot quicker. I don't think I have ever really floored it since I reduced mine.

TQM reduces engine power (torque) during:

* Sudden starts and stops
* Sudden acceleration under 40 (i think thats the speed)
* Gear changes (1 to 2, 2 to 1, 2 to 3, 3 to 2, R to D, etc....)
* When ABS kicks in
* ETC.......

If anyone gets a Predator, email me and I'll get the complete redux for TQM or at least get a hold of someone who can do it. Mine is reduced as far as the parameters will allow but I had to have it done professionally. Diablosport got sick of me bitching about the TQM and all the hiccups I had with the Predator on trying to eliminate it so they just backed it off for me as far as they could.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 AM

just got an email from Nelson performance, shipped out yesterday evening and should be in on july the 8th. will try to get it in and let everyone know the results.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:24 AM

alright so i actually read some stuff from the email and it said i will have to do a cranshaft relearn procedure. how in the heck do you do that?
will it have to be done, because it says on some new computers it will have to be done?
any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:38 AM

The crank re learn isnt hard Im not sure how it goes exactly but its simple. I think Nelson has it on his site. But if you have any problems just call Malissa and she can help you she is a real cool chick. Also you can check out his forum they can answer any questions you have. Nelsons forum is http://www.ls1truck.com/ . But keep us updated on how much you love it.

Quick Reply: Bit the Bullet