Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Blinker keeps blinking

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Default Blinker keeps blinking

I have a late 1999 Silverado.

After the direction indicator cancels itself, I can hear theflasher solinoid keep blinking for a time. No lights, inside or outside are blinking, just theflasher solinoid clicking. It becomes irregular, not a regular click as when the direction indicator lever is left or right.

Anyone have an idea what is causing this?

Old 01-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Default RE: Blinker keeps blinking

what year truck?

Old 01-30-2008, 01:17 PM

Sorry about that....

It's a late 1999. I just edited the original post.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:08 PM

i've seen about 3 do that...all aROUND 02's probably...it was the blinker module,which on the backside of the dash fusebox...a real joy to get to

Old 01-30-2008, 02:39 PM

Just seems strange. I use earlier Chevy electrical systems in my Street Rods and there is no power to the flasher unless the lever is one way or the other. This is my first experience with late model electrical.

I just need to replace that module, right?

Old 01-30-2008, 02:57 PM

its a guess,mind you...but as i said,the 3 i've seen were the module..this IS a gmt800,right?..meaning the "new"body style in 99?

Old 01-30-2008, 03:22 PM

Yes...It is the new, later body style.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6098/8DD4FD204E4D4D6CBB4DC2D39029680F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-30-2008, 03:42 PM

Just got under the dash. I can hear and put a couple of fingers on the module, and it certainly is clicking on and off. I will get a new one before trying to pull the old one out. I think if I drop the hood latch pull **** assembly, just one bolt, I will be able to more easily get to the module.

Will let you know. May be a few days as we are going to be away until Monday and I don't think I want to get into it before we leave.

Still don't understand why it would"make and break"with the indicator lever in the neutral position, and not flash any lights, but it sure does. Oh well..............

Old 03-19-2008, 06:16 PM

Well, I just got to replacing the flasher. I tried several times over the past several weeks, but could not get it to unplug, no matter what. I went to http://www.oplin.org/databases/proxy...%2fframerq.asp, put in 123456789 as the card number, next page hit "submit", next page I scrolled down to "Automotive Repair Reference Center, and then navigated to the section on my truck. I found that replacement of the flasher is done through the fron of the dash, not the back. I removed the bezel around the instruments with my fingers. Removed the two screws holding the knee bolster (lower dash panel), pulled the panel loose at the top and removed it. There is a large hole in the front of the dash frame, making it easy to replace the flasher. The factory flasher is held in by a clip arrangement making it impossible to remove from the back of the dash.

The whole thing tookabout the sametime that it took to write this message.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:37 PM

Lol, just take the module out. It's a fullsize, why would you need a blinker? I'm not sure if mine even work. If the cruise control wasn't on the lever.... Blinkers are for hondas and dodge neons.

Quick Reply: Blinker keeps blinking