Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Brake lights don't work.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Default Brake lights don't work.

I have a 96 full size pickup. A week ago, we had some ice and freezing rain had the day after, when everything started to melt, all of my lights on the back end quit working. After finding the big 30 amp fuse under the hood blown and blowing several 20 amp fuses, I took out the trailer harness adapter and it all started working again, for about 2 minutes. I have everything working but the brake lights. And even they worked during those few minutes until I drove it.

I'm not blowing fuses. I can hear the brake light relay under the hood working when I step on the brake. My hazard lights were working, but now, I can't pull the red hazard switch stub up to engage the hazard lights. A multi function switch is $170.00 bucks!

I was wondering if any of you know if where the power from the switched part of the brake light relay goes to and comes from? I'm guessing that the brake relay is in front of the break in the circuit. I'm hoping that someone can confirm my fears and that the brake relay is in front of the turn signal switch and the power for the brake light goes from the relay to the turn signal switch then out to the tail lights.

Please prove me wrong. I have a Chilton's manual, but it's fairly worthless for this level of wire/power tracing..

Old 02-10-2010, 03:27 PM

Sorry but it looks like everything is pointing to a multi function switch. But Recently i did blow my brake light bulbs and turn signal bulbs at the same time you might want to check that too.