Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes squeaking. What's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Default Brakes squeaking. What's the deal?

Ok, so since I bought this truck a couple weeks ago, I like to do maintenance to all my vehicles when I buy them. Did new pads all the way around and turned all the rotors and they turned out great.

Now with new brakes, it was a slight noise at first. However now, the pads are seriously squealing. It is embarrasing and they are LOUD. What do I do to make them stop squealing? I bought cheap pads from Autozone. I am fearing the worst though. I am thinking everyone is going to say, take them back and buy the best ones from Advance or something like that.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:26 AM

I personally buy the best pads I can find. Did you put the rubber-like compound on the back of the pads? I think they call it anti-squeal.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 PM

As slimjim said you have to be sure to put the anti squeal stuff on the backs of the pads. Most come with it, but some of the cheap pads dont include it with the pads and you will have to buy a tube of it. I bought a pint size bottle of it YEARS ago, and I still have MOST of it left. It dont take much, but without it they can make a real bad noise.
Also make sure the squealer tabs are not bent inward and are not hitting the rotors before you pull them off to change them. I know it sounds strange but I had a set of Bendix ones for my Olds years ago and for some reason both pads for the front had bent squealer tabs on them, so it does happen. The good thing is, not very often. They are there to let you know to change the pads before they hit metal on metal, so dont bend them back to far.
Lastly, did you grease the caliper bolts before you put them back on? If not you may want to take a look at those as well.
Good luck to you.