Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New Member Hard Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Default Brand New Member Hard Start Problem

Hello all
OK heres the story Forgot to mention this is a 2002 silverado 4.8L V8 was running very good until,
It all started when I noticed that my auto start stopped working and failed to turn over the engine by the third try. Then the truck started to bogg down on acceleration from a stop step on gas and it started to pop pop and then catch and throttle up but not normal seems like its struggling to do so,also the tranny seems like it is not switching gears as it should on acceleration.
So the genius in me said ahha a tune up time so I changed the plugs but not the wires only 45,000 on motor plugs in are suppose to be good for 100,000 The old plugs looked like they were burning very clean and good spark not bad at all almost put them back in.
I used AC Delco Platnium plugs as replacements
I then check motor still throughing codes 1071 1074 Lean System
So I cleaned the MAF sensor cleaned code and accelerated fast engine Pop Pop inside what sounded like throttle body and trouble light came on on next start up.
I then clened Throttle body changed throttle sensor and have since cleaned the EGR valve since its right there on TB too.
I reset the codes and it was good until I hit the gas and Pop pop again the next start light comes on.
So this time I scanned it and came up with the following codes

Fuel system 1 CL using H025
Fuel System 2 CL using H025
STFTRM1 % reading changes up and down around 16
LTRM1 % READING STAYS THE SAME AT 24.9
STFTRM2 % again reading up down around 16
LTFTRM2 AGAIN STAYS AT 24.9
RPM RIGHT AROUND 600
IGN ADV IDLE 15-19
IAT 57
MAF 10.115
02S11 .07-.765 Changes 15-18 %
02S12 .850 NO CHANGE N/A
02S21 .115 - .83 CHANGES 14-16 %
02S22 .830 N0 CHANGE ALSO N/A
PTO NOT ACTIVE
So there we have it if these mean anything feel fun to say so THanks

Old 01-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Default RE: Brand New Member Hard Start Problem

check your fuel filter, if that dosn't work it sounds like a fuel pump issue.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:36 PM

you might want to check and see if you have a vacuum leak .... it sounds more like a fuel issue though i would change the filter and then you can check the pressure

Old 01-01-2008, 10:37 PM

I forgot to mention I did changed Filter was clogged a bit hard to blow through[:-][:-]

Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 AM

Truck is a 2002 silverado with 4.8L engine V8

Old 01-02-2008, 12:43 PM

Check fuel pressure.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:50 PM

If the fuel filter was clogged up how are the injectors? When was the last cleanout. Should be done every 15k especially if you use regular. Is there water in the tank? Before I get going on to tougher problems I usually stary with basics. Maybe my checklist will help you out.

Air Filter
Spark Plugs (always do wires roter and cap if available)
Fuel Injectors.
Fuel Pressure
When engine is cold, cycle the key 2 or 3 times so you hear the fuel pump whine but dont start the engine. On your fuel rail there should be a little cap jutting off. When you remove the cap there should be a little valve that looks like an air valve. Use a pen to hit the button (watch your eyes) and see if you get a good squirt. If not, you either outta gas, clogged, or pumps goin. Then you move on to fuel filter and pump.
Fuel Filter
Is there water/crap in the tank. (STP Dry Gas works wonders)
Is the fuel pump in order.
Are their any cracks in the intake between the map sensor and the throttle body?
Is there any discoloration in the throttlebody, intake manifold area indicating a gasket leak?
Are there any clogs in the exhaust? (Potatoe?) Hows your CAT?
Can you see oil outside the head gasket or is there water in the oil?(oil looks white/cloudy and crappy.)

If I havent found an issue by now I get into the vaccums, sensors, and computer systems. I would like to rule out tranny problems tho they can have an effect on engine performance they would not cause popping of your engine. Hope some of this can help you out. According to my list those codes are fuel starvation which could be misread as bad air supply. IE there is more air going in than the map sensor thinks.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:48 PM

have you checked sensors like the crank position and the o2s?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:13 PM

Smoke here is original posting [/align]Motor was running pretty good today until I hit the gas hard and had the stall out described[/align]Thanks[/align]Also Today it showed two new codes after stall P0131 and P0151 and another to do with something Crank[/align]Hello all
OK heres the story Forgot to mention this is a 2002 silverado 4.8L V8 was running very good until,
It all started when I noticed that my auto start stopped working and failed to turn over the engine by the third try. Then the truck started to bogg down on acceleration from a stop step on gas and it started to pop pop and then catch and throttle up but not normal seems like its struggling to do so,also the tranny seems like it is not switching gears as it should on acceleration.
So the genius in me said ahha a tune up time so I changed the plugs but not the wires only 45,000 on motor plugs in are suppose to be good for 100,000 The old plugs looked like they were burning very clean and good spark not bad at all almost put them back in.
I used AC Delco Platnium plugs as replacements
I then check motor still throughing codes 1071 1074 Lean System
So I cleaned the MAF sensor cleaned code and accelerated fast engine Pop Pop inside what sounded like throttle body and trouble light came on on next start up.
I then clened Throttle body changed throttle sensor and have since cleaned the EGR valve since its right there on TB too.
I reset the codes and it was good until I hit the gas and Pop pop again the next start light comes on.
So this time I scanned it and came up with the following codes

Fuel system 1 CL using H025
Fuel System 2 CL using H025
STFTRM1 % reading changes up and down around 16
LTRM1 % READING STAYS THE SAME AT 24.9
STFTRM2 % again reading up down around 16
LTFTRM2 AGAIN STAYS AT 24.9
RPM RIGHT AROUND 600
IGN ADV IDLE 15-19
IAT 57
MAF 10.115
02S11 .07-.765 Changes 15-18 %
02S12 .850 NO CHANGE N/A
02S21 .115 - .83 CHANGES 14-16 %
02S22 .830 N0 CHANGE ALSO N/A
PTO NOT ACTIVE
So there we have it if these mean anything feel fun to say so THanks

[/align]

[hr]
Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year. [/align]

Old 01-04-2008, 10:07 PM

How about knock sensors? I am just shooting from the hip here. Also O2 sensors.

By the way, I thought a put a post on here, yet there is not one. maybe I pissed someone off and it got removed, never happened before (the removal not pissing someone off).Ha!!

Quick Reply: Brand New Member Hard Start Problem