Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

bumper rust

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Default bumper rust

so i got a 2007 sierra bought it from the dealer and they replaced all bumpers because of damaged/rust problems. i've had it for 4 months now and all the bumpers (front and back) are starting to rust now. their solution is washing and waxing which is understandable but a 4 month old bumper rusting already?? come on give me something better then that i contacted gm canada and they've replied with the same answer (after contacting the dealer of course)

anyone else have this problem?
thanks
vanspek

Old 03-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Default RE: bumper rust

i got rust on my 07 sierra also, i just noticed it starting out as little rust spots

Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 PM

I've got a 2010 Silverado with a rusty bumper. I've only had it for 4 months from new. The dealer says that they will "buff" it out and wax it for me. So I called GM customer service and they told me to get the work done and keep them posted. So far no bulletin on it.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Administrator

No matter what is said, done, advertised, etc. General Motors is a bankrupt automotive manufacturer. And it shows. There really isn't any other insight I can give

Old 12-16-2010, 05:00 PM

I have seen 09 starting to rust. Dang china bumpers

Old 12-21-2010, 11:40 AM

I have the same issue with my 2010 Chevy. Don't go blaming GM's bankruptcy for this issue. I spent about 10 minutes Googling rusty truck bumpers and found that Dodge and Toyota have the same issues...

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...ar-bumper.html

I suspect the problem lies in cheap outsourcing and/or environmental pressures on the plating suppliers here in the US (if they are made here still). I work in the plant that makes the fuel system for the GM trucks and have personally witnessed environmental pressures force the closing of plating suppliers in the US. What a great government - force businesses to close, increase unemployment, and create poor quality product in the process that we end up paying for indirectly!

Old 02-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Default rusty bumper

Just got it buffed and waxed at the dealership and the next day it looked like it was starting over. Will check on it again and call GM customer service to keep them updated.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:17 PM
TruckForum Addict

I would make them replace them each time I found rust on them.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:42 AM
Default bumper rust

2 days after the buffing and waxing of the bumper it started to show spots of rust ! So I called the dealer and called GM immediately. They each said that they would talk about it and they don't have an overall solution but they sometimes deal with each claim on an INDIVIDUAL basis. So now I'm waiting for a reply from them both. It's been a few days so I'll call again and become the squeeky wheel that hopefully gets a new rear bumper.
The rust is much worse on the tailpipe side. So it definitely is exhaust gas related. I do a lot of highway driving. Stay tuned folks !

Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by sonicnorth
The rust is much worse on the tailpipe side. So it definitely is exhaust gas related. I do a lot of highway driving. Stay tuned folks !
That's too bad they are giving you the run around. Demand new bumper pieces. Each side of the bumper has it's own chrome piece riveted to the main bumper. I waited for mine to get bad enough so they wouldn't send me through the useless buffing routine. Exhaust gas or not, they should not rust that fast. It is obviously a manufacturing process problem. My dealer said their rusty bumper claims have finally started to diminish.

Quick Reply: bumper rust