Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

A/C crapping out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:44 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default A/C crapping out?

My A/C is sometimes not working. Usually when I first turn it on. I'll put it on recirculate and cold and it will be blowing in outside temperature air for a good minute or so. I know the A/C system relies on the cooling system to function appropriately so it is not working at it's best when the truck is sitting still and it's hot but normally it starts blowing cold air, seconds after I turn the truck on. I was thinking maybe the compressor could be bad or something but I haven't heard any odd noises from it. It still works fine it just takes a while for it to get going and a couple times now when I've been driving it has just gottenwarm and then eventually got cold again. Anyone have a clue?

Old 08-12-2007, 11:09 AM
TruckForum Addict
Default RE: A/C crapping out?

Do you have a way of checking the feron charge on it?

Old 08-12-2007, 12:37 PM

Sounds like a bad cycling switch...on the drier...if it really cools well most of the time

Old 08-12-2007, 09:01 PM
TruckForum Addict

I don't know much about A/C. What is the drier and what is the cycling switch? Would it be possible for me to check them myself?

Old 08-13-2007, 04:52 AM

Josh,the drier is a the big silver can....on the passenger side under the hood....its the "low" pressutre side of your a/c system.On the drier is a small switch with a plug..this switch turns the compressor off when the pressure gets to low,and then back on as it rises..
in other words,it :cycles" the compressor operation.
These switches are klnown to stick and cause problems as you describe.you can change it yourself...it just screws on,but be sure to not to overtighten it and crush your o-ring.

As always,this is just a guess.....but most likely it

Old 08-13-2007, 06:36 AM
TruckForum Addict

By removing/replacing it will that allow A/C chemical to come out? You wouldn't happen to know how much it costs would you?

Old 08-13-2007, 07:12 AM

no,you can screw it off...there is a schrader valve behind it.
its about 25 bucks GM