Chevy Silverado/ GMC Sierra Forum Discuss the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra here.

Can I add a DIC to my 2007 LT1 Silverado?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Beginner
Default Can I add a DIC to my 2007 LT1 Silverado?

I just purchased a used 2007 Silverado and it came with the LT1 package. It does not have the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel allowing me to access fuel mileage and other info. All I have is the odometer reset button which brings up trip odometer, transmission temp etc. Is it possible to add the missing DIC component to my dash?

Old 07-06-2009, 06:21 PM

This is a very good question and have been wondering about doing it to my 08 silverado also. My truck didn't come with one when I bought it but I asked the dealership about it. They took down my VIN # and looked up the RPO codes, then they printed out a long list of all of the RPO codes on my truck and what they mean. From reading that, it says that my truck has the capability to install the DIC panel that you are talking about. It costs about a $100 online, but my only reason for not doing it yet is I'm not sure how to get the dash panel off so I can see if there are any hookups for it. Go to the dealership service/parts dept, bring in your VIN# and ask for a printout of your RPO codes. My guess is that since you have the LT version, you will be able to install a DIC.

My question to you is, (I know it sounds pathetic) do you know how to take off the panel on that part of the dash?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the reply and yes I just read where all you need to do is remove the plain dash panel and pop in the one that costs @ $100 like you said. The wiring is all there in the dash, all you need is the buttons to activate it. I will see if I can find the directions on the dash panel removal and post for you and others.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Beginner

here is what I found on one guy who added the DIC to his truck:

I took my time and eased the top left corner off first and then worked my way around toward the middle with my hands pulling the cover away from the dash ...It does break lose but I was worried it would break also. I used a small blade screw driver to release plastic locks on switches...Putting new unit on, I reversed how I took cover off ... used a thin blade screw driver to slightly pry up on the new cover while sliding cover edges behind lower panel.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Beginner

and another post regarding removing the dash panel:

Some of you over think this project, yet it is fun to watch.
Simply, just grab that peice of the dash and pull it off! You won't break anything! Unplug the components with two tweeker tools, (that's) the hardest part. Then plug in the new one and don't over think the rest. Just put the new piece back in opposite as you took the old one out.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:00 PM

Sounds pretty easy. I'm going to go and try to take off the panel for the heck of seeing if I can do it. lol if I can't do this, I shouldn't be around a truck.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:16 PM

Alright, that was pretty easy to take off. I do have the wire harness needed for the DIC upgrade and I just ordered one. I'll let you know how it all goes once it arrives and I install it.

Can't wait!

Old 07-11-2009, 08:48 AM

I got the '08 & the DIC came with mine. I wonder why you didn't get it. Maybe because I got the 5.3 with AFM. Maybe Chevy's not too proud of the fuel mileage on the 6.0. But I like the fact that it tells me I have a slow leak in the left rear tire. The idiot light goes on when it leaks down to 29 PSI. That way I don't ride around until it goes flat & ruin the tire. Wonder how it snses the pressure on a rotating tire. Hmmm...

Old 07-11-2009, 03:15 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the wheels have a radio signal sent to the truck to know what the air pressure is. If you ever put on a different wheel and tire (like the spare maybe) you would have to reset the air pressure sensor for that wheel. I think that is a good idea to let you know way in advance before a tire goes flat.

The 6.0 in my truck has the AFM as well as the 5.3 and I honestly don't see that much of a difference in mpg in comparison. I get 22 on the highway and about 17-19 in city. The best I got was 25.7. So why did Chevy not put the DIC in all of them? I don't know, probably just cheaper for GM not to put one in all of them.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:34 PM

I just got my new trim panel with the 4 button DIC today. The installation was simple and all the cool features are worth the money.

Attached Thumbnails Can I add a DIC to my 2007 LT1 Silverado?-dscn2620.jpg  

Quick Reply: Can I add a DIC to my 2007 LT1 Silverado?